“A hidden gem!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mona's Cafe & Deli

Mona's Cafe & Deli
3901 Banks St, New Orleans, LA 70119-6914 (Mid-City)
(504) 482-7743
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #638 of 1,540 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Mid-City
Neighborhood: Mid-City
“A hidden gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stopped here from reviews on TA. Very good food, with the exception of dry chicken. Great flavor, but very dry. I think we will return. I was pleasantly surprised by this hidden gem.

Abilene, Texas
“Delicious little Middle Eastern find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Mona's is tucked away on Banks Street off of Carrollton Ave. and is truly a neighborhood place. The restaurant is attached to a comprehensive store full of international specialty food items. We were greeted warmly and received helpful advice from the server on the menu. The interior is quiet and peaceful - nothing fancy, but we enjoyed it. The food was delicious! I had chicken swarma - wonderful with warm, charred pita bread and amazing hummus. I took a bite of a friend's falafel and it was amazing - light, fluffy, crunchy. The portions were huge - the chicken swarma plate could easily be shared by two - and the prices very reasonable. I think my plate was around $10. I would definitely go there again on my next trip to New Orleans!

• Visited July 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Grocery store too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The food is wonderful. Best hummus anywhere. Excellent apps. Great quality, really good swarma. Falafel etc excellent. The bonus is the grocery store. You can buy everything yummy for your house! Cheese, olives, dates, grape leaves, pits: everything. Love it!

• Visited June 2013
Sacramento, California
“Mona's is a mecca for vegetarians”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

After stumbling in and out of a few other restaurants, including Praline Connection, we continued on our journey for a truly vegetarian meal. We ended up at Mona's. At the start, when we walked in--it was a large open space with smiling faces to greet us at the door. The menu was filled with veggie options. We ordered two spinach pies and a hummus and fallafal plate. When we got the food, suddenly I remembered eating there many years ago when I lived in New Orleans as a teenager. The pitas and spinach pies were fresh, made there. And the fallafal was actually hot and crunchy on the outside...I knew they had made this there, too. The hummus was delicious and so was the green chili pepper they put at the center of the hummus. After a radically disappointing experience with vegetarian sandwiches at a chain shop the day before where we actually went hungry that whole day--Mona's was just what we needed. Service was wonderful, and there is nothing I could say negative about the experience. Thanks for taking care of us, Mona's!!!

• Visited June 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“I visit weekly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

If I'm not eating Mona's delicious hummus, baba ganouj, or flafel, then I'm at the grocery, which boasts perhaps the best international foods section in the city. From olive oil, to pistacios, to hookah's, you can find it at Mona's grocery. They also have the cheapest selection of nuts and herbs in town, along with fresh daily pita bread. I'm just glad it's in my hood!

Visited February 2013