“in spring come for a drink under the wisteria - but the buffet is bad and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Two Sister's Kitchen

Two Sister's Kitchen
223 N Derbigny St, New Orleans, LA 70112-3323
504-524-0056
Improve this listing
Ranked #700 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Our waiter rocked. Live music was great.

But it is not his fault we could not get a new napkin after messing ours up peeling shrimp and crawfish (for 29 per person they should have been peeled for us). Food was starchy, cheap, plentiful, but not flavourful. Reminded me of a cheap Chinese buffet on the prairies full of deep fried foods that taste the same.

Not great. would never return.

Visited January 2012

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Don't let the location fool you, it's worth the trip! Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Went out of the way to find this out-of-the-way little spot based on my husband's memory of an interview with a Saints' football player. This is an unpretentious neighborhood restaurant serving huge portions of delicious southern soul food!

Don't let the location fool you! I felt entirely safe walking during the day with my husband and kids from the French Quarter and back. And we needed the walk after all the food we ate. It isn't a quick walk, though, so consider driving and parking on the street or one of the nearby $2 parking lots.

This was our last meal on this trip to New Orleans and was such a delight after a bust with one of the more "upscale" (but not well-known - we were on a mission to try some different spots) restaurants in the city. The staff was so friendly! Our waitress kept bringing us more and more food!

The menu varies according to the day you are there. I was accidentally given a different day's menu and was drooling over the offerings and wish I could go back for that as well! But the Friday menu was just as wonderful. My husband and I could not resist ordering the gumbo and rice. The gumbo was exactly what it used to be - everything you have around thrown into a base of delicious brown roux and okra! We guessed it had rabbit, sausage, chicken necks, ham, and a half a blue crab for garnish. It was so good!

Our family also tried the fried shrimp plate accompanied by mac and cheese and some delicious peas and the meatball with spaghetti. I didn't get to try the giant meatball, but my picky 9-year-old daughter devoured it. The shrimp was very good.

Then, as if that wasn't enough food, our waitress asked if we wanted some cornbread. How could we refuse? This was the most delicious, moist, not-too-sweet cornbread you've ever tasted.

We couldn't eat dessert, though the sound of the cherry pecan cobbler really tempted us!

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Had one of the very best meals at this small, out of the way, local soul food restaurant. We had lunch and there was so much food left over that we took it back to our rooms to have another meal. Plain and small with delicious soul food. A little off the normal tourist route but I would recommend going in the daytime, don't know what it is like there at night. They do not concentrate on the decor, they concentrate on tantalizing your palate with great homemade dishes. My husband loved the meatloaf and I loved the baked chicken and the okra. Our friends all loved their food too, everything is good here. It's all home made and they run out of specials fast.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Authentic N.O.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

One of the greatest values in New Orleans. My wife, daughter,and I split the Red Beans and rice with smothered pork chops. It was great and there were still some leftovers. The staff was great. I can't get enough of that aunthentic New Orleans accent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

If you are looking for the REAL soulfood then this is your place. The atmoshpere is not the best for this little diner but the food was amazing and the portions huge. No one at our table could finish an entire meal without help. The prices were cheap considering you are in N.O. This is a must try!!

• Visited July 2011