“Unexpected Pleasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Louisiana Bistro

Louisiana Bistro
337 Dauphine St, New Orleans, LA 70112-3129 (French Quarter)
+1 504-525-3335
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Unexpected Pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This restaurant was a surprise. Located less than a block from the Grenoble House, i stopped and took a look. Made reservations with the CHEF/OWNER! Sam was our waiter. The food was outstanding and the Service was even better. Small and intimate. Our friends from Vermont decided to make a second trip there when they were unable to fly out!

Visited January 2014

New Orleans, Louisiana
“A heavy hand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

A strange but nice little French Quarter restaurant. When we walked in, there were only three occupied tables, yet when we said we didn't have a reservation, they told us to wait. We were shortly seated, and no one walked in after we did. The wine was delicious, the service spot on, but the woman in the kitchen, who I heard say she was the owner at least once, never stopped talking at so loudly that I could not help but hear her every word. All the other workers were much more professional and discreet, except for the fact that they kept trying to push the most expensive dish on the menu, the cajun surf and turf.
We ordered both the lamb and the duck entrees, and the meat was cooked to perfection. However, and here's where the trouble comes in, the sauce on the duck, which they quaintly call "goo" on the menu, was little more than Steen's syrup, hot sauce and Lea and Perrin's. It was so heavy handed, that it overpowered the duck. Same with the lam: the bar-b-que sauce, also with a cute name I can't recall, tasted like A-1 sauce, cajun style. It too overpowered the perfectly cooked lamb, which is a shame. And battered and fried haricot vert? I think that was overkill.
This restaurant used to be owned an operated by a French chef who made delicious bistro meals. Now its appeal seems to be mostly to tourists, so I hope they enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Zionsville, Indiana
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This meal was such a treat. It was our last dinner before we left town and I had had a lot of New Orleans traditional meals up until our dinner at Louisiana Bistro. We had the filet with crawfish. I don't remember what it was called, but it was the best, BEST filet I've ever had. The crawfish were amazing. It was all amazing. I was not planning on having dessert, but when they said "cream cheese ice cream" I had to try it. Oh. My. Gosh. Cocktails were good, atmosphere was good, service was good. It was all good. GREAT even.

Visited January 2014
Boise, Idaho
“Attentive and friendly service, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I really, really wanted to try the tasting menu here, and just turn myself over to the whims of the chef. Unfortunately my friends cancelled on me last minute and I didn't feel like I should put the chef to all that effort for one solo diner - so I ordered off the menu. Read up on the "Feed Me" on the restaurant website for tasting menu details as it is (oddly) not really on the menu.

This is a small, intimate and nice atmosphere and it seems by design so the chef can have control over all aspects of the food. Although reservations are recommended, don't be afraid to try for this place if you don't have one. It was near my hotel and so I passed by it every night for several nights, and though busy, there is a table to be had here and there if you time it right.

The crab cakes had quite a bit of kick - tasty but spicier than expected. I ran into some friends from a conference dining here and they warned me away from a dish marked spicy on the menu "unless you like really, really spicy." They were from NY so I took that to heart figuring they knew spicy and I opted for the drum (fish) for entree. I wasn't sorry - it was perfectly cooked and a delight in every way, with great sauce and sides.

The creole cream cheese ice cream was very good and unique. Although I would not normally, at a fine dining establishment, ask for food to go - I had a friend back at the hotel not up to dining out and she asked me to bring back dinner. So I asked for an entree to go and they were very gracious about it and happy to do so.

Service here was excellent, with a friendly and attentive staff. Due to some last minute plan changes I had to call and change my reservation time and they were really accommodating. Overall, it was a great restaurant - and though I still feel I missed out not getting to try the tasting menu, there is no question in my mind it would have been good based on what I had!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hernando MS
“Creole Surf and Turf!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

AWESOME FOOD AND SERVICE, ONCE AGAIN!! One of the top 3 restaurants in the Quarter!! This is a JEWEL of a restaurant!! Creole Surf and Turf will make you slap your mama!! No white table cloth, no getting lost in this little gem. Very intimate setting! Go there!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere