“Grimey but good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
St. Louis
“Grimey but good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

Well, if you can get past the over crowded 'seating' and if you like to bus your own tables to sit down, then this is the place for you!

The po-boys were very good hence the crowds, but like most things in NOLA, it's dingy and almost filthy inside.

No need to order side items b/c the sandwichs are huge. I would split one with a friend.

New York City, New York
“I loved the po boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

I went here years ago.... 1st place I went to was here and had an oyster po boy... it was so good that when I was flying back to NYC, I stopped in the second they opened and had 3 made and took them back to NYC so my boyfriend and best friend could eat dinner with me. I brought some New Orleans damn good food back with me for them to enjoy!

South Bay area, Ca
“Great muffulettas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

Everyone goes to Central Grocery for the muffulettas, and I've been there many times. But this trip we also got one at Johhny's for the plane ride home, and they were awesome. More meat and cheese, and the olive salad was more chopped. I still love Central Grocery, but check out Johnny's too. Ironically, I still haven't managed to get a po boy there yet, but I hear they are great!

Chicago, Illinois
“Best Sandwhich in NOLA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

We tried the shrimp and the oyster po boys and were very impressed (much much better than the one we had at Red Fish Grill). They are huge, but the bread is very light and airy so you do'nt get too full before you can finish up the perfectly fried seafood filling. A great place to stop for lunch, but double check the hours before you head over (they were closing at 3pm during our trip because of staffing problems since the hurricane).

Maryland
“How do you run out of bread before 2pm?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

They ran out of bread. Before 2pm. Offered to make us food with regular bead - BUT only had 4 pieces left - there were 5 of us.

We went to Mothers - had great po-boys.

I asked our buggy driver about Johnny's. He said the drivers all eat there because it's cheap - but no better or worse than anywhere else.