“Nice little cafe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Maspero

Cafe Maspero
601 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130-1029 (French Quarter)
504-523-6250
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Lake Villa, Illinois
“Nice little cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Enjoyed a late night dinner here and we were seated right away by friendly staff. My husband got the local favorite Muffaletta. Ham,salami and pastrami topped with olive salad on a huge roll, almost too much food with fries. I enjoyed the roast beef sandwich, we left stuffed with no room for dessert. A quick in and out meal without being rushed. Love the open air setting great for people watching and prices reasonable.

Visited March 2014

Edmonton
“Flavorless at best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stopped here mid afternoon. There was no line up and were seated right away. Our table top was very, very sticky and we had to walk sound a large puddle of soft drink to get to our table. The spill was not cleaned up for a good 20 minutes and it seeped to under our table in the meantime. My friend ordered the jambalya. It was bland and the rice was over cooked though the shrimp was cooked well. She picked out all the shrimp and did not eat anything else. I ordered red beans and rice. First taste was very bland. Added salt, still very bland. More salt, still no flavor. I ate no more. When the server cleared our table she did not ask why we did not eat our meal. No one asked if we enjoyed our meal. We paid our bill and left. Can not recommend this place. Dirty and flavorless!

Colorado
“Excellent value and authentic ambience in the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place proves you can get good food at a good price in the French Quarter, and you don't have to pay for the "frills" to taste local cuisine.

We stopped in here on a whim, and we were happy. They have a veggie muffaletta that you can get on "thinner" wheat or rye bread, and it comes with fries for around $7.00. We actually found we like this muffaletta better because there wasn't so much bread. We also liked the steak fries that came with it. This is only one of the tasty, affordable meals a person can get in the French Quarter without walking too far from Bourbon Street. This restaurant is at the corner of Decatur and Toulouse, right across the street from the river.

Also, in addition to offering 18 varieties of bottled beer with only two priced at more than $4.00, ($4.25 each), they also have two, popular varieties of Abita on tap for only $3.00 each.

The waitstaff is friendly, accommodating, and professional. Our waitress was perfect!

The only thing I can say bad about this place is that I'm wondering why they leave mayonnaise, (Miracle Whip?), on the table in this or any environment. Of course, I am not exactly sure it was mayonnaise, but, since it was white, I was assuming, and I wasn't about to try it. Everything else about this place was perfect, was very "French Quarter," and was an excellent value.

This is a good choice for people who don't like to wait in lines too long, and who appreciate a good value in dining.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“YEAR #8”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I come to the FQ from California on a regular basis and was introduced to Cafe Maspero's by a friend 8yrs ago. Ever since then Cafe Maspero's is one of the 1st places on my list to stop and get a bite to eat when I arrive in the FQ.

Get there EARLY because the line does form...but they do have plenty of seating but fills up quickly. Now as a creature of habit I ALWAYS get their seafood plate (extra horseradish, cocktail sauce and thousand island dressing for my side salad) & their pastrami on a roll (extra pickles, Creole mustard with raw onions). These 2 dishes are just GREAT! Not to mention their famous $1 dacaries. You should really give them a try next time you happen to find yourself in the neighborhood!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beaumont, Texas
“Disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had dinner at Café Maspero because of all the good reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we were very disappointed with the quality and taste of the food. We are very familiar with Cajun & Creole food and this place is not up to par. The service was good and our waitress was efficient. The prices here are lower than many other restaurants in the French Quarter, but it would have been worth the extra money to get better tasting food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere