“Catfish was awesome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jack Dempsey's Restaurant

Jack Dempsey's Restaurant
738 Poland Ave, New Orleans, LA 70117-4724 (Bywater)
(504) 943-9914
Neighborhood: Bywater
Pomona, California
“Catfish was awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First place we ate at, (not the boxers restaurant) and a little out of the way and supposedly in a suspect area(we took a cab). We had no problem and resembled a lower middle class neighborhood. Looked to be a locals spot and everything was deep fried. They must cook at extreme heat because all the food lacks residue grease, such as fast food places that leave grease soaked bags and what not. Shrimp, crawfish pie, fish, oysters, it was all very tasty and filling. Order the seafood platter for one, there's enough for 2 and a to go box for 2 more. I ordered a straight shot of rum, which was watered down. This seems to be the only drawback of the place, the waitress said it was straight, and I'm not an expert, but I have had enough experience with rum to know the diff. Didn't argue but I won't order rum or any other drink there again.

Visited May 2013

Santa Cruz, California
“Old school New Orleans neighborhood place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This place is definitely a local legend. The exterior is bright white and clean, the interior dark and cool, furnished like a church basement but with TVs and beer signs all over. There is a full bar with good, strong drinks. The fare is fried seafood and steaks, We each did a "surf and turf" with a rib-eye steak, broiled to perfection. I had oysters and my friend had catfish. The fried seafood was, well, fried, but still good. The potato salad is to die for! It has mustard and dill and is fantastic. The coleslaw is very tasty, too, not too heavy on the mayo and with some chopped dill pickle. Warm, friendly service tops off this NOLA experience. Go there!

Visited April 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amazing Redfish in the Bywater neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This restaurant is an amazing find in the Bywater neighborhood .It's known primarily for the perfectly done fried seafood and creamy Mac n Cheese . However, the last time I ate here I tried the broiled Redfish . It was delicious , very plentiful and very good quality fish .

It really rivaled some of the best restaurants in town , minus the sauce ,but well seasoned with Cajun spices .
The atmosphere is very casual and service fine with servers that have worked there forever. Many families were there .

I last went during the Superbowl weekend when all the high end , better known restaurants were booked and we were able to get a table quickly and I thoroughly enjoyed the Redfish .

You will need to drive there but it doesn't take long from the Quarter

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lee, Virginia, United States
“Not good at all...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

While the portions are plenty, I felt that my food lacked flavor. I ordered the seafood platter with catfish and shrimp and a side of baked macaroni. The seafood had absolutely no seasoning and the macaroni was penne in a cheese sauce. The portions were plentiful. When I mentioned to our waitress that I didn't like my food she said that there was nothing that she could do about it because they don't get any complaints. She very nicely offered me a box to take it home. I have high standards when it comes to the food here. Especially the seafood and sadly, this place didn't meet them.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Twin Falls, Id
“You will enter the Twilight Zone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Looks like just another house except it has a sign. Enter and you find the quainest place, and freindly to the max. We noticed that the gals all knew everyone, hugs a-plenty. We went for the crab soufle for asppitizer, man oh man, and then we opted for the dinner for two, Good Golly!!! Who eats here, Paul Bunyun?? I swear we took home another meal after we ate till we were stuffed. The combo plate allowed us to sample the redfish, catfish, oysters, and shrimp. Be careful, we ordered the onion ring appetizer the next day, its a mountian of em, I mean it!!! a mountian of em, at least a hunnert.

Visited January 2013