“Acme - Oysters!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Acme Oyster House

Acme Oyster House
724 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)
504-522-5973
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 1,515 Restaurants in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Fort Myers, Florida
“Acme - Oysters!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A must stop.....especially for lunch in New Orleans. The oysters are to die for and just loved the po -boys. Get there early, cause a noon the line is outside the door.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern New Jersey
“Acme's Charbroiled Oysters Live up to the Hype! You MUST try if you visit NOLA.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've never heard of charbroiled oysters until I started looking up places to eat for my upcoming trip to New Orleans. Along with beignets from Cafe Du Monde, charbroiled oysters from Acme Oyster House were a recurring theme in NOLA must-haves. I wrote it off as a hyped up tourist fare but still figured I'd stop in and try them out for the heck of it (spoiler: Man, am I GLAD I did!).
The place gets pretty busy at peak times and there are no reservations so you just have to hope for the best. My fiance and I visited for lunch on a sunday and waited on line outside for about 10 minutes (there was a longer wait for people who wanted to sit at the oyster bar, but we opted for first available). The inside is rather large and decor is just your average bar/pub atmosphere. We were seated in the back section and as the hostess walked us through we passed the broiling station which was behind plexi-glass so you can view the cook prepping the shelled delights.
We ordered a half dozen charbroiled oysters to start and each decided to go with po' boys for our meal; hers was crawfish, I went with shrimp. The oysters come on a plate served with a couple lemon slices and bread. Now I enjoy raw oysters and I'm not the biggest fan of fried ones, but these were just absolutely perfect! All the flavor from whatever butter/garlic/cheese concoction (which was so good to soak the bread into) they use goes so well with the deliciously fresh Louisiana oyster, it's truly a match made in heaven. I understood what all the hype was about after that first slurp! Unfortunately, the po' boys were just average otherwise I would have rated the food perfect. Of course, they are known for their oysters so I really wasn't expecting much from the po' boy in the first place. On a side note, if you are looking for an awesome po' boy check out Verti Marte, their sandwiches are incredible!
Next time I'm in New Orleans I will definitely come back here and I will strongly recommend it to anyone planning a visit to the Big Easy. Along with Cafe Du Monde it truly is a "can't miss".

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Okotoks, Canada
“Excellent food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Having read all the reviews we had to visit this restaurant whilst in New Orleans. The chargrilled oysters were recommended so that is what we all ordered! We were not disappointed at all. With a side of jambalaya and a pitcher of beer, it was a great meal.
Great atmosphere and great service.

Visited August 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

There was a hour 1/2 wait but boy was it worth it. The food was excellent. Must try the debris po boy and the oysters. Great portions! Great service.

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Still Dreaming about the Oysters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Calling all Oyster lovers. OMG!!! I am not really a fan of cooked oysters. Love them raw with a cold beer. But I decided to step outside of the box while dining at Acme and can I tell you. I still long to taste their grilled oysters. I have never heard of grilled oysters. I found myself eating them every so carefully to allow my taste buds a chance to dissect the ingredients for me to duplicate at home. They were the bomb!!!!! We went on a Thursday night so we did not encounter the lines we saw the following night.

• Visited July 2013