“This should be the #1 restaurant in NOLA” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 1,514 Restaurants in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: St. Louis Street- Conti Street
“This should be the #1 restaurant in NOLA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I originally went to K-Paul's back in the early 90"s but had the pleasure to return with my wife last night. We started out with 2 appetizers. We had the Fried green tomato's and a cup of gumbo. The fried green tomato's were served with shrimp and a delicious remoulade. It was awesome. The gumbo was loaded with meat and rice and very flavorful. For our entree we had pan fried flounder with mash potato and assorted diced veggie's and the Blackened Yellowfin Tuna with mash potato and diced veggies. I originally was disappointed that they didn't have blacked Red Drum but ultimately I was extremely pleased with the Tuna. I practically licked the plate. I sopped up the remaining juices with the delicious assorted breads they served. The portions were quite large. As compared to other restaurants that we tried, the portions were the most generous of any we tried.
Our waiter was James and he did a fine job. His menu knowledge was excellent and a solid reflection on the Management at K-Paul's. It had such a "homey" and family feel. He was very attentive and service was impeccable. We also had 2 glasses of Red Wine that was good and a fair price. The dessert had limited options but we passed on the bread pudding but wish I could have had it. We had a sweet potato pecan pie with creme and the creme brulee and 2 cups of coffee. My wife is not a creme brulee fan, but she was loving it! What was unique about their interpretation of it was that they had a pecan praline on the bottom of the custard with the normal sugar topping. It was incredible!!! The coffee was also perfect.
I was worried that K-Paul's was surviving on their past reputation, that is not the case. It is as good today as it was almost 20 years ago. Obviously there are many good restaurants and we tried several including GW Fins and The Redfish Grill, this blows Fins and Redfish away. Not that Fin's wasn't good, but you could get that anywhere. I think that K-Paul's is the NOLA 's BEST. The bill for the two of us was $120. I thought it was very fair for all that we had.
If I had a negative, I tried to change my reservation from 6:30 to 6pm. I spoke with Dina and she said that there was no way to change as it was a "full house" that night. We showed up at 6 and probably only 20% of the restaurant was full. They had empty tables the entire time that we were there. Management should have welcomed us coming early to maximize the potential of the table's.
Bottom line is that this is the BEST of NOLA!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas
“Good but not like it used to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dined in the casual upstairs room near the kitchen. The server brought us a basket filled with different types of breads: jalapeno rolls, white rolls, heavenly carrot cake muffins and sweet corn muffins. I ate every bite with the fresh butter. For entrees, I ordered salmon with shrimp and bay scallops and my daughter had the drum fish with crabmeat. Both dishes were delicious but my entrée was cold. More attention could have been made to presentation as the plates looked sloppy. Since our reservation was for 5:30 many servers congregated close to the kitchen and were chatting about their personal lives. While the restaurant was good, it was not at the same high standard I experienced during my last visit several years ago.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Restaurant!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I walked into this restaurant for dessert and coffee.
The waitress told me about their pecan sweet potato pie- it was AMAZING!!!Their mixed coffee drinks are great as well.
The staff is really friendly and kind.
Next time I will be having a full meal here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montgomery, Alabama
“Delicious food & great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited K Paul's on a Wed. night. Walked right in. Right down street from Omni Royal Orleans in French Quarter. Smallish restaurant with brick walls, white tablecloths but not stuffy. Service was good & food was delicious. Varieties of bread served before meal. Loved the carrot muffins. Steak was perfect & soft shell crab/pasta was slightly spicy but loved. Would return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Largo, Florida
“What a special treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food is incredible, from the lovely bread basket they bring to all tables to the delicious desserts. I've never had a bad meal. It is my husband's favorite place to eat. If you have a special occasion to celebrate, make sure to tell them in advance. They will reserve a special table for you and make your experience extra nice. Highly recommend, well, everything on the menu.

Visited February 2013