“Snowing Powdered Sugar” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Virginia
“Snowing Powdered Sugar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The coffee was luscious, and the beignets hot and sugared. The sugar looked especially well on our faces and clothing when we were done. The staff was nonplussed by our antics.... :)

Visited October 2013

Somers, Connecticut
“This is a must visit while in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This classic cafe is a landmark in New Orleans. It's nothing fancy, the ground is always dusted with a white layer of powdered sugar, but it's still the perfect New Orleans experience, as you sip your chicory coffee, take in the life around Jackson square, and listen to the street musicians. Even if the beignets aren't the best doughnut you'll ever have, they are delicious, buried under the mountain of powdered sugar, and served along side a cafe au lait.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Not as wonderful as my memory of it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

In all fairness, approximately 40 years have passed since I last visited. That is a lot of time to romanticize about something! And what annoys a 52 year old likely does not even register with an 11 year old.

The Bs were great as always. Don't drink coffee, but my mother loved it. Hate the cash only aspect, especially in this day and age. The seating system is horrible. But worst of all, the wait staff (at least the one we had) was horrible. She argued with us about everything....our order, our change, what I was leaving as a tip. First time in many years I was tempted to not tip anything. But in all fairness, if I had that job I would probably lose my mind.

If you are traveling, it is worth the visit. Go early to avoid the crowds. By early, I mean like 6-7 a.m. Even going at 9:30 a.m., our wait was only about 10 minutes.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Great outdoor seating for people watching. Its very busy and can be difficult to find a table. Beignets are such a wonderful treat. The cafe is open 24 hours a day and I am sure it is busy the entire time. Very friendly service with all of the hustle and bustle.

Staten Island, New York
“OMG!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Before we tasted beignets, I was not convinced that these hot little ding-a-ma-jigs laden with a ton of powdery sugar could compare to Italian zeppoles we have here in New York. Wow, let me tell you that if that is your mindset, you will be wrong and certainly miss out on a most delicious pastry. Zeppoles can't compare to beignets -- yep, I can't believe that I am making that statement. Ouch!!! But it's soooo true. Let the truth set me free! Now I know why they sell nothing but these yummy delights. They don't need to sell anything else!!!!!! They're not as greasy as zeppoles and, although very similar in taste, are just a delight to the palate. On the other hand, I was totally unimpressed with their cafe au lait. Instead, I loved the hot chocolate. When we learned that Cafe du Monde is a 24 hour operation, that made our vacation all the more enjoyable!!!! Had dessert here quite a few times. I can't stop dreaming about those little numbers! Can't wait to go back for more!!

• Visited October 2013