“Great breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #153 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The huevos rancheros were outstanding! The service was fast and friendly, even on a crowded Saturday morning.

• Visited December 2013

Houston, Texas
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Small place a block off of St. Charles. There is always a wait, but we didn't wait long. Everybody was pleased. Friendly staff, great food. Eggs Benecio!!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Browns Mills, New Jersey
“Yummy breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I were driving around looking for a place to stop for a nice breakfast when we came upon Coulis, located in a quiet part of town.
When we arrived there were about 14 people waiting outside to go in. Someone came outside to tell us to form a line, you do not need to put your name in. The wait was due to the fact that there were two larger parties waiting for tables that could be combined to open up. Since we were only a group of two we were seating rather quickly.
Inside the eatery is casual, but warm with small tables and friendly service.
I had the special which was a Salmon Scramble. Three eggs blended with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. It also came with a choice of grits or home fries. I had the grits, of course :-) It was very good. My boyfriend had the steak and eggs. It was gone by the time I turned my head! He loved it. He also added an individual pancake on the side which had a smiley face in whipped cream, very cute.
The food was straightforward and good. Made with care but not fussy. A simple, good meal. We enjoyed it and would go back to grab a bite.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Terrific breakfast choice in Garden District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Ran across a review of this restaurant in the Garden District while looking for a place for a Sunday breakfast.

We hit it just about right, about 1145A on Sunday morning. We had four couples in line outside ahead of us, but the line bumped to about eight to nine couple in total before we got in. The Saints home game began at 12N, so my thought was that we hit it just as a lot of people were finishing up in time to watch the game.

Note that you do wait outside the restaurant. The weather for our visit was wonderful, but cold/hot/wet weather might be problematic.

One thing that would have been frustrating about the wait, had I not heard about it before, is that they are somewhat slow in turning over tables. You can see two or three parties leave, you see their tables get cleaned and set up, but they don't immediately seat waiting customers in the empty tables. I personally think that is a choice, not an oversight; one made by the restaurant to better manage the stress on the kitchen. And it pays off, I think -- we got our food very quickly after we ordered.

As for the food, I thought it was very good. I had the Ultimate French Toast -- French toast, stuffed with crème cheese, with whipped crème, apples, pecans, bits of smoked sausage on top. Very good, excellent portion. My wife had the grillades and grits - with grillades being small, thin-sliced fried pieces of pork chop with cheese grits. The grillades also are covered with a brown, spicy gravy that has onions and green peppers.

Fresh squeezed orange juice is very good as well. While we didn't order them, from looking at some other tables, the pancakes looked to be large, plate-sized cakes -- I plan on ordering those next time.

Overall - -very good breakfast choice -- on my list now for New Orleans breakfast options

• Visited October 2013
New Jersey
“I wish we could have returned, it's that GOOD.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited our second day in New Orlean's and are we so glad we did. We arrived early and exited as a line was forming. Servers were polite and helpful with the menu. The customers around us were not at all as polite or thoughtful.These ladies were hustling and little snippets couldn't hold out 45 seconds for a cup of coffee to be refilled. Get a grip.
My husband ordered the "Egg Benecio" a so called Coulis favorite. Now we know why. This is 2 poached eggs served over jalapeño cheddar corn cakes topped with pull pork "debris" and house made hollandaise. It was HUGE, but more importantly delicious. Our friend ordered the Eggs Creole. Scrambled eggs, cheese grits, sourdough toast and sausage gravy. YUM. the ladies had shrimp and grits topped with crispy bacon, perfect. LOVED IT!

• Visited September 2013