“Go for the tradition” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 1,603 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Iberville
Galveston, Texas
“Go for the tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I took a group of her jewelry design students and their spouses—40 through 67 age group—as part of our “Wire Fandango” annual retreat. This is a “go to it once” place for me. The ambiance is bright and elegantly cheerful. The lighting adds a beautiful glow to the ladies’ faces and is great for photographs. The service is very good. We were seated at too small of a table, but simply asking the waiter to move us resulted in being reseated at a larger, more comfortable spot. By the way—for those of you complaining about getting a “tough” table by the restroom entrance, that’s your fault for accepting it. I felt the food here was good, but for the money, I’m not sure this restaurant could make it in a city like Houston, Texas, and I’m not sure it could make it as a newly opened restaurant in New Orleans. Its history and tradition seems to be its major attraction. As for the advice to go to Acme Oyster House, forget it and go to Deanie’s instead. As I said, I’m glad I went once, but I’m not sure I’d go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“A real taste of old New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We loved this restaurant from the elegant feel, the attentive but not obsequious service, the crunchy delicious bread, outstanding gumbo. However, the crawfish etoufee was the best I have ever eaten. Perfectly made so that you can actually taste the crawfish. YUMMY! We did not have a reservation but we were able to be seated right away. Go Here!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not impressed as much as I thought I would be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I know this is a top restaurant, but the meal was not so impressive-undercooked au gratin potatoes, and lamb chops ready to run off the plate (medium well?!) Was with a group, so maybe a smaller setting would have yielded better results. Lovely building.

Visited June 2013
Daphne, Alabama
“It's still a grand place . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went for lunch and were pleasantly greeted and seated. We can never remember our favorite waiter's name, so we had a "new" one. He was attentive and when asked about a Puligny Montrachet, excused himself and asked the wine steward. We had a 2010 Louis Jadot, fine but overpriced. Ordered Oysters Rockefeller and a Salad Maison, both timely served. Thoroughly enjoyed our Trout Almondine with Souffle Potatoes and had an exceptional Raspberry Sorbet for dessert. Many empty tables bothered us, but it was as lively as in the past. Not sure why the place wasn't full, maybe competition. Our New Orleans favorite for a long time.

So Fla USA
“Good times and bad times ... she's been through it all and she's still here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Excellent, rich, beautifully prepared and served French-Creole-style cuisine. It is a one-of-a-kind restaurant. Superb service, well-appointed table settings, sparkling white, crisp linen and vanity-embellished stemware. I've dined at Galatoire's on a dozen or so occasions over the last 30 years. Recently, it was as good as it had ever been. The menu is the same as always and the preparations are exactly the same. Superior. What did we eat? Souffle Potatoes with Béarnaise Sauce (I learned how to make these in cooking school back in the 70s -- this is the only place that I know of that has them on the menu -- try them and you'll understand why). Shrimp Remoulade (like only Galatoire's makes -- not your typical remoulade -- it's even better!). Oysters en Brochette (Bacon & Fried Oysters on a stick -- what could be better than that??!!). Fried Eggplant - light, crisp, delicious! Oysters Rockefeller - so GREEN from the spinach and beautifully flavorful! These are signature appetizers and, in my book, are "required eating" at Galatoire's. Skip salads and any green vegetables -- you can get those anywhere. Crabmeat Yvonne - so fresh, tender, creamy and dreamy. Filet Mignon with more Béarnaise Sauce. Perfectly cooked and the Béarnaise is freshly made with nice tarragon and chervil accents. For dessert - Black Bottom Pie (rich, buttery, nutty and chocolatey - a great combination and it's enough for 2 or 3 people). Bread Pudding - some of the best in the city. Service is somewhat formal. We had a female server which normally wouldn't be unusual, but, c'mon -- this is Galatoire's. I didn't ever recall any females on the wait staff on previous visits. I didn't see any others so I asked our server, "Are you the first female server at Galatoire's?" to which she replied, "No, I am the fifth." Welcome to the 21st century! She was perfectly charming and practiced the same outstanding level of professionalism one would expect at this restaurant. As I recall from previous visits, guests are usually offered their choice of server and I recognized a couple from the first time I dined there. It wasn't crowded but we ate early and it was a Tuesday evening. Weekends are hell to get in. It's bright, tables are pushed up against one another. It's date night, it's business lunch, it's the regular once-a-week older couple that has been there every week for the last 40 years, it's a little touristy. It's Galatoire's and it's one of the greatest restaurants in the United States! Wear a jacket, dress up a little, and dine well. You'll love it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere