“Great dining- one of many great places to eat in New Orleans” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Dessert in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great dining- one of many great places to eat in New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Every bite was a delight, I did feel that we did not get that much attention because we were not drinking, and our bill was not going to be that high. The wine prices are nuts, but we did enjoy the food. The mixed salad was amazing, and not like anything I have ever eaten. My wife got the grouper which was wonderful. I would review the menu prior to going. I don't eat meat, and as such my choices were limited, but that is me. I had eggplant as a main course, and it was also very good. But like I said, once our waiter realized we were not drinkers, the attention dropped from a 10 to a 2, and the table next to us, drinking wine got 10 times the amount of attention.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, WI
“Amazingly Creative Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was not expecting this place to be so formal, but despite fancy service and decor the food was amazing. All the reviews are spot on, this place is amazing. Everything that we had was creative and tasted wonderful.

Visited August 2013
Houston
“A fine dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was a birthday dinner. Food was excellent and so was service. I was a little taken back because my husband surprised me with this birthday dinner when we had agreed on going elsewhere. For a meal of this caliber I was fine with food prices. Wine prices were alarming. ($38 for a glass of champagne - we passed). If money is no object you will be more than pleased.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, SC
“Don't waste your time & money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

One of the worst experiences I have ever had dining in New Orleans! I would never eat here again or any of Besh's restaurants. I sent a letter detailing our experience and it wasn't even acknowledged. Go to Delmonico's!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis, MO
“don't miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our fourth time here during trips to NOLA. First time was really great, second slightly less so, third on an off night - but most recent was exactly what a five-star dinner should be like, from beginning to end.

Visited September 2013