“Still one of my favorite places” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #511 of 1,516 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Julia
Description: April 11th Eat Club Dinner @6:30pm w/Tom Fitzmorris "LIVE BROADCAST" RESERVATIONS ONLY, www.nomenu.com Limited Seating. Riomar Seafood has been open since 2000. We are a Spanish/Latin seafood restaurant. We feature fresh Gulf seafood and locally grown produce. Voted "top 10" in New Orleans by the Times Picayune, Riomar serves its exquisite cuisine in a casual atmosphere with an outstanding Spanish wine and cocktail list. Riomar offers a private dining room option. Thank you for thinking of Riomar.
Herndon, Virginia
“Still one of my favorite places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been to New Orleans many times and this is still one of my favorite places. I love Ceviche so that is a main draw for me - it's very creative with some spicy and some more traditional - it is definitely a must get every time. I generally order small plates/tapas and find the menu to be creative and the food quite good. On this last trip, we actually ordered the Tres leches de coco for dessert with the recommended rum and it was divine. Rio Mar is a standby for me, and in this case it was perfect place to take my sister and celebrate her birthday.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbus, Ohio
“Rude hostess and 'my way or the highway' attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had been here before so suggested my association colleagues and I go there together as part of a conference we attended. We all work for different companies and only see each each other once or twice a year. This was the reason I made the reservation 2 months in advance. 3 days before the dinner, when i was already out of town for work, I got an email from Helena (the rudest restaurant person any of us have ever encountered.) saying we were REQUIRED to order off the chef's tasting menu since we had 10 people in our party. I looked at the menu and the cost would be higher than some of us expected so i knew it would be trouble. After leaving messages during their lunch hour 2 days on a row with no return call, I called Thursday night, one day before the reservation. She was totally unbending about how we order , claiming she is trying to help our food experience. Since i was getting ready to leave for New Orleans, i told her she was going to have to be the one to explain to my co-diners. AND SHE DID. She actually made the 4 people that could not spend $70 or $80 on dinner move to another table and justified it by saying she met our requirements and requests. She only yelled back at us when she was told by 3 or 4 of us she actually screwed up the main reason why we meet for dinner, which is to socialize since we are from diverse areas of the country. The sad thing is we all loved the food and enjoyed the variety (for those that did decide to do the tasting menu. I am staying at the Marriott and told the concierge about our experience and i heard my friends telling all sorts of other colleagues at our conference. I would avoid this place because of their attitude. We are so surprised that NOLA seems to have a glut of people going out to eat, so much so the restauranteurs can try to corral their customers into a corner as well as being so rude about the way it was done. She also told us we had to order soon after sitting because of another large group coming in that was to sit at a large set table across the room. Funny, no one ever sat there while we were there and the employees were actually unsetting the table. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that they likely just cancelled, perhaps getting wind of the same hospitality... I'm just saying..

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Great Tapa and Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Searched through a lot of New Orleans Restaurants to find this gem. Iberico ham was on my list and they had it here. The happy hour tapas was amazing, Fried chickpeas, empanada, cheeseplate fried Yucca, plantains. We got to explore a whole new world of foods .The service and the food was awesome. Will definitely go again !!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CALGARY
“Off the beaten path”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Bumped in to Rio Mar while walking around the warehouse district. Our waitress was very friendly and informative. The food was good but not exceptional. We could have been on an off night. Would certainly go again.

Visited October 2013
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Ceviches great, don't order the Arroz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ordered the ceviche sampler as a starter and was great along with the baked oysters RioMar. However ordered the Negro Arroz made with Valencian Calasparra and was one of the worst things I've ever tasted. Had to send it back as I thought it was not digestible and I've never sent anything back before. Kinda wrecked the experience.

• Visited September 2013