“unusual, in a good way” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Upperline Restaurant is New Orleans, LA's local haven where tasty Louisiana cuisine, serious wine, and Creole hospitality is always served.
dekalb, illinois
“unusual, in a good way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Upperline (named after the street) is unique. The restaurants walls are decorated with dozens of pictures by local artists. The pictures are probably not to everyone's liking but they give the place more interest than it would otherwise have. The food, from a relatively limited menu, was outstanding. Service was professional and friendly. The owner was a great hostess. We would certainly return if we ever returned to New Orleans.

• Visited July 2014

Saint Charles, Missouri
“Amazing New Orleans Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We ate at Upperline on our last night in NO and it was the perfect closure to our visit. It is the best of everything New Orleans. We got the taste of New Orleans, which is a great deal in my opinion. You get more than enough food and a variety of flavors in each course. My husband liked the turtle soup even more than Commandor's Palace. I prefer the richness of CP but I particularily loved the duck etoufee at Upperline. We had a lovely visit with the owner who I wish was my grandmother. The atmosphere was perfect with colorful artwork all over the walls, and friendly employees. I don't think you could ask for more.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the best meals I've had recently !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The reason for 4 stars rather than 5 is because dessert is very dear to me and I was not blown away by the dessert. I had the bread pudding and the pecan pie which were both okay but okay does not suffice for me when it comes to dessert . Next...Everything else was nothing short of fantastic. We had duck étouffée for starter, slow roasted duckling, lamb shank and cheesy grits which were all absolutely delicious! The cocktails were great the ambience was pleasant and the service was very good! A meal you would not regret.

Fort Myers, Florida
“Superior Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Having spent over 30 years and more money than I care to admit in New Orleans' restaurants, Upperline remains at the top of my list for the second year running. Remarkable food, relaxed but impecable service in an intimate/charming setting as well as extraordinary value. Tourist often and irronically overlook this Uptown gem several blocks off St. Charles Ave. It serves many Louisiana favorites and unquestionably the best duck the city has to offer.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Everything I expected. Applause!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Okay. I crossed one item off my bucket list tonight. Dinner at Upperline in New Orleans. This intimate neighborhood resrtaurant is presided over by owner Jo Ann Clevenger who for more than 30 years has made folks feel at home in this smallish spot with walls covered with good and interesting art from her collection. After Katrina she bedded down employees she could locate in the resrtuarant and served whatever she could scrape together to feed those who counted on her. Considered one of the icons of the NOLA culinary world, she welcomed us with open arms and after a lovely meal of Oysters St, Claude, rack of lamb, and pecan pie gave me a big hug and asked me to tell our mutual Southern Foodways Alliance friends, "Hello." Here is a woman who loves her restaurant, her guests, her city. Grand service without hovering. Kind gentleman at the door with an umbrella to see us to our cab. Upperline feels the way a restaurant should. Engaging menu with a Creole influence. If you love "real," you will love Upperline.