“Dinner in the Gallery” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 1,602 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Take the St Charles streetcar to this award winning art filled Creole bistro. Chef Dave Bridges wows our regular guests with his modern interpretations of classical local cuisine. Enjoy our specialty Cocktails and well regarded wine list. Dinner Only - Reservations Recommended
Oxford, Maryland
“Dinner in the Gallery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Before heading to NOLA, I read many Trip Advisor reviews, one of which criticized Joanne, the owner here as being less than friendly. Our experience could NOT have been more different. Upon arrival, she greeted us at the front door and offered a choice of tables, What followed was an absolutely delicious meal with excellent service in a wonderful environment. Upperline feels like an old home that has been decorated floor to ceiling with the owner's local art collection. Upon leaving, we spent several minutes with Joanne, who gave us some if about her favorite restaurants, art galleries, and local culture. This was truly a pleasant evening!

• Visited November 2013

86% Recommend
milwaukee
“great intro to NOLA cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I were in town for 4 nights and while researching restaurants we decided on Upperline intending to sample the $40 fixed price 3 course menu. Sample we did! Each of us ordered different starters, mains and desserts. The fried green tomato with shrimp remoulade was the winner for appetizer, each of us loved our entree's...all fish..and desserts were good as well. By the end of our 4 dinner stay we realized that the $40 menu was quite a good deal. Beware that Upperline is a bit more dressy than jeans and tees and does not have much of a bar. It is located about 2 blks off the St. Charles streetcar in the Uptown area. The interior is memorable with loads of art and the service could not be better.

Morgantown, West Virginia
“AMAZING anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

At the recommendation of a chef, we had our first anniversary dinner at Upperline. And, I'm so very glad that we did.

My husband and I both did the three-course dinner. He had gumbo, shrimp saute, and creme brulee. I had fried green tomatoes, duck, and bread pudding. The menu states that the duck (Slow Roasted Half Duckling with Garlic Port or Ginger Peach Sauce; I chose ginger peach) was featured on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" in 2011. I completely understand why. I don't think I've ever had anything so delicious in my entire life. The portion was huge, and the flavors were amazing.

On our way out of the restaurant, we had a lovely chat with the owner, JoAnn Clevenger. She is such a warm, outgoing person.

Thank you, Upperline, for providing us with a very memorable -- and delicious -- first anniversary!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Thanks for the Recommendation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We usually stay at or near the French Quarter when visiting and stick to restaurants around that area. However a friend told me about this place after hearing I was staying in the Garden District and told me he and his wife loved this place so we decided to give it a try. I can honestly say that it was one of the best meals I have eaten. My wife chose the taste of New Orleans menu and I had the crispy oysters to start (favorite item of the night) and the chef's fish of the day which was a Redfish that was cooked to perfection. We ordered a dessert of crème brulee and bread pudding that served as a great end to the meal. This is a perfect place for couples and I can't wait until my next visit to NOLA as this will definitely be on my agenda.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Too much garlic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Good food easy to park and get to owner thinks too much of herself and will tell you so. The only complaint I had was the cook everything with garlic and lots of it