“Trust the waiter” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Upperline Restaurant is New Orleans, LA's local haven where tasty Louisiana cuisine, serious wine, and Creole hospitality is always served.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Trust the waiter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was warmly welcomed by JoAnn Clevenger, the owner, and my waiter Mark R. I'd heard about this restaurant for years, but had never tried it. I was taking a yoga class nearby, so decided it was a good time to do so. Oh, my goodness. I was nestled into a cozy table in an art-decorated dining room and presented with a menu of several wonderful-sounding choices. So, I asked Mark for recommendations. We started with the Crispy Oysters St. Claude, moving on to the Cane River Country Shrimp Sauté and ending with creme brulee. The oysters sat on tiny puddles of a wonderful red sauce. The shrimp were cooked with mushrooms, bacon and garlic and served over creamy grits I was so glad my yoga class had been a rigorous one so I could eat all those calories without too much guilt! I'd taken the street car up, but decided to walk much of the way back to my hotel in order to burn up a few more calories.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Fantastic experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Upperline provides a more upscale New Orleans food experience for less of the pomp and circumstance. The food is high quality and inventive (for a starter, I recently had their Crispy Oysters, which were lightly breaded oysters served with what can only be described as a show-stopping salsa). The owner is a vivacious woman who is typically on site and ready with a story. The environment, however, is not the stuffy one you might find in other establishments of similar quality. From table to table, diners are laughing and enjoying themselves, and the servers are pleasant. While not inexpensive, I have always found the food and the atmosphere worthy of the price.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great dinner and comfortable atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is one of many well-regarded restaurants we ate at in New Orleans while here on a business/fun trip, and it was one of our favorites. We ate here on a Saturday night (we called two weeks before and made a reservation, and did not need to give a credit card number, by the way - not sure why another posted commented on this, but maybe they changed their policy) and had the Taste of New Orleans dinner. Being Northerners, we never had tasted turtle soup or duck etouffee before (and one of us had never had fried green tomatoes). All were delicious, as were the other items on the tasting menu. The service was great, the ambiance very comfortable and quiet - nice local artwork on the walls, and we really liked the atmosphere of the restaurant being in an old house with tables in various rooms. We ordered a nice bottle of wine to go with the meal, and also ordered a fantastic gazpacho off the menu to try. All in all, a lovely restaurant, and one we would not hesitate to recommend,

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Wow, this was bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It's rare that I regret eating at a restaurant, but this was one of those times. The waiter and owner were phenomonally unpleasant. The food quality varied from the steak being very good, the appetizers just OK, the potato was awful-really , and the desserts were average. We felt rushed the entire meal, the owner snatched my plate away while I was still chewing food. For a meal well over $100, this was the worst experience I ever had. Also, of all the fine dining restaurants I booked before going to New Orleans, this was the only one to demand a credit card number for the reservation. I suspect it's because once people get to town and start talking to locals, they don't want to eat here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manassas,VA
“Wonderful food, atmosphere and owner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Through the haze that was my buddies bachelor party, this place stood out as a memory hurricanes and hand grenades couldn't make me forget. My pal and five of our closest friends had made reservations to this wonderful establishment prior to arriving in NOLA based on great reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor. The previous reviews proved to be 100% spot on.

I'm sure it is quite odd for a bachelor group to have dinner at such a fine spot, but we wanted a night to talk, enjoy each others company, and celebrate the bachelor and give a toast to his wonderful bride to be. JoAnne, the owner, made sure we had just that...a great time out with really great food!

Most of the group got the "Taste of New Orleans," the seven sampler size portions of NOLA's finest dishes. I was in the mood for something on the lite side so I ordered the Drum with the Hot Shrimp along with an appetizer of Duck & Andouille Etouffee and finished with the Crème Brûlée. Everything was tasty, filling, and well worth every dime we spent. JoAnne was very nice and thanked us all for visiting. I would recommend taking the time to visit the Garden District and stopping in to see JoAnne!

• Visited September 2013