“Good...but a little tired.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 1,537 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Upperline Restaurant is New Orleans, LA's local haven where tasty Louisiana cuisine, serious wine, and Creole hospitality is always served.
Southlake, Texas
“Good...but a little tired.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Food was good...but not superb...which would have been expected from a top-20 NOLA restaurant. The choice of three different pre-set three-course meal options was exceptional...but the portions were small and one fish order was over-cooked. Suggested wine pairings were pedestrian...deserts exceeded expectations. Overall hospitality was fun...but the decor and other restaurant clientele appeared a little tired.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Fabulous Food in the Garden District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Upperline was a wonderful experience! We were greeted by the owner, who could not have been more hospitable. The restaurant is decorated with art she has collected over the years, adding to the "personal" style of service. The food was uniformly great (three guests all chose different dishes); if you want a little of everything, try the seven-course tasting menu. We had been underwhelmed at several other New Orleans restaurants -- extremely high prices for good-but-not-great food; certainly not the case here! From all standpoints -- quality of food, service and price -- Upperline is excellent!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Must Dine At This Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Small establishment, more like a house. Don't be fooled by appearance or size. This place packs a major punch when it comes to the food and service. We were greeted and seated by the owner. She takes a very active interest in making sure people are happy with her restaurant. The menu was inventive and the bread pudding was the best I've ever eaten. Just a great experience.

Visited June 2013
Florida
“The Best in the Garden District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been to this restaurant in the Garden District in New Orleans several times and it never ceases to amaze me. Each time I return, JoAnn Cleavenger, the owner, is there to greet and chat with the patrons. I even recognized several of the waiters from previous visits. Neither the food or the excellent service seem to change.

One thing is new and you will probably never see it on any other menu in the world. In honor of the New Orleans garlic festival, JoAnn has added a Garlic, honey sundae to the menu. Don't laugh, I tried it and it is delicious. She explained the process to me, but I do not think I will try it at home.

We were seated in the upper area which I was told used to be a hair salon. It is small and cozy and has so much interesting artwork that JoAnn had to hang some of it on the windows. Very interesting.

We started with crispy P&J oysters and fried green tomatoes. I knew that New Orleans was famous for its oysters, but these were the best ever. I then had the slow roasted half duckling with ginger peach sauce while David had my other favorite, the braised lamb shank in red wine. We shared. Desserts were Louisiana Pecan pie and the rather unusual (but good) sundae.

For me, no visit to New Orleans is complete without a visit to Upperline. It is easy to reach on the St. Charles Streetcar and the driver knew exacly where it was so we knew where to get off.This is very much a neighborhood restaurant and not known to a lot of visitors, but I wouldn't miss it. Thank you JoAnn for another memorable evening....we will be back.

Newmarket
“Superb dining in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I dined recently at Upperline. it was an outstanding experience. We were greeted warmly by the owner, who subsequently introduced us to the chef. The menu is very creative, and the chef is highly talented. This restaurant is located in the Garden district of New Orleans, and is very attractively decorated with paintings by local artists. The wine list is complete and very affordable. It was a most enjoyable and memorable evening, and truly one of the best restaurants that we have visited.

• 5 of 5 stars Food