“spooky ghosts, fun food, and a great view of Jackson Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Muriel's Jackson Square

Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3206 (French Quarter)
504-568-1885
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Muriel's Jackson Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 1,627 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Ann
Description: The Bistro at Muriel’s Jackson Square offers New Orleans classics like Gumbo, BBQ Shrimp, Oysters "Muriel", Turtle soup, Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-boy, Crabmeat Imperial, Shrimp Remoulade & contemporary Creole cuisine like Pecan Crusted Drum & Wood Grilled Tuna while the Courtyard Bar is the perfect place to drop by for drinks & appetizers. The Séance Lounge is the place for a relaxed, comfortable meeting before or after dining. Comprised of two areas, The Outer & The Inner Séance, the Séance also tells the story of a mystic & checkered past. The Outer Séance addresses the New Orleans era of Storyville & when Muriel's Jackson Square was one of the French Quarter's best bordellos! The Inner Séance is the preferred domain of the resident ghost, Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan, & is the perfect spot for an intimate conversation & a drink amongst its plush surroundings.
Houston
“spooky ghosts, fun food, and a great view of Jackson Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras last week and my sister in law and I had lunch at Muriels on thursday. I was very interested in the history of the building and all of the infamous events that occurred there over the years: brothel at one time, a suicide and murder were committed there, an old family estate in the early 19th century lost in a poker game (hence the suicide) and many others. There are wide reports of ghosts haunting the place-flying glasses and plates falling off of shelves, etc. The building is in a great location-right off of Jackson Square. It is at least 2 stories and the main dining is on the first story. Up an ancient staircase on the 2nd story leads you to the cocktail lounge done in deep reds with velvet chairs and couches. This then leads into the "Seance Room" where supposedly some of the resident ghosts lurk about. Done in rich fabrics and furniture along with 2 life size scarcophaci. Very cool place to have a drink and hange out. There is also a fabulous wine room where one large table sits-it is $150 to reserve the table but what a great spot! An iron gate closes it in.
While we didn't see any ghosts we did enjoy some great food.
I began with their tomato and mozzarella salad with a pesto vinegarette. I really don't care for these types of salads-they have been so overdone but this one blew me away! The pesto sauce had a subtle sweetness to it that I loved! I'm thinking rice vinegar maybe?
Then my main entree was their shrimp and goat cheese crepes! smothered in a delicious sauce. YUM!!!
I had the rites of spring cocktail - more than one! My sister in law had the ginger snap with allspice dram-she had more than one of those, too. Great cocktail list.
For dessert we split the butterscotch pudding-I like the buttorscotch flavor but not the chocolate syrup at the bottom. It would have been better without it.
I snapped several photos and was making notes and the manager came over and asked if I was tweeting or blogging and when I mentioned it was for Trip Advisor she offerred to show us around and said how much they appreciated Trip Advisor! Even gave me a free glass of wine!
One of the best things about Muriels is their balcony on the second floor-we sat outside,drinking our free wine, and soaked in all of the crazy vendors, pyschics, huslters, and street artists in Jackson Square. I would definitely go back-hopefully next time I'll see a ghost!

Dallas, Texas
“Rainy weather dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

To be honest, we picked this restaurant because it was near our hotel, the weather was rainy, and as frequent New Orleans visitors, we had eaten at many of the storied places in down town. I loved the variety of offerings on the pre fixe menu, although in execution I was disappointed at times. I began with the redfish cake. Let me begin by saying that I am not a seafood eater, and I eat it showing that I am willing to be adventuresome rather than expecting to like it. That being said, the redfish cake that I had for the appetizer was perhaps one of the best seafood dishes I have ever eaten. I followed that with the barbequed shrimp, which was acceptable, but not my favorite that I have eaten in New Orleans. For dessert I had the bread pudding. The pudding itself was one of the best I have ever had, but the sauce was almost cloyingly sweet. Service was excellent. I left feeling satisfied for the price, but not overwhelmed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to New Orleans many times and have our favorites. We dined here with friends who live in N.O. and recommended it. We were hesitant at first, but it was right next to our hotel The Place D'Armes ( do NOT recommend) so how could we say no. The restaurant was lively, upscale and fun. The food and the service were outstanding. Everyone enjoyed their food. We were there the Friday night of Superbowl weekend and it was very busy but our reservation was honored on time and with a smile -- the way it should be! The complete opposite of our hotel experience next door (see my review).

Miami, Florida
“First turtle soup for me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Delicious food and served fast. Great atmosphere and a great place for a business dinner. The turtle soup was good, but the baked oysters over the pasta were great! Plus, I hear the place is haunted- Reserve the table in the back, the one by the courtyard, or ask the hostess about it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta
“Every bite was amazing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

On our spur-of-the-moment road trip to NOLA this week, we took the advice of our pedal-cab guide, Bella, who recommended Muriels for dinner. We chose to sit in the open courtyard area where we could people watch. Though it was late in the evening, we had had a long day and needed to munch, so we chose to eat picnic style and share. Tomato & Mozzarella with Prosciutto with a drizzle of pesto sauce, Chicken with shiitaki mushroom soup, and spinach salad with hot bacon dressing and pecans. No words can describe the amazing flavor of each bite. They say that "nothing is as good as the first bite of something"...I can attest to the inacurracy of that statement...Every bite was intense, and full of pleasure! The staff was professional and friendly & the presentation was upscale. The restaurant is off the beaten path, and more of a local eatery, rather than a tourist spot. Highly recommended. Ask your local guide to point you in the right direction for a truly delightful dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food