“Satisfying and Entertaining Spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Muriel's Jackson Square

Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3206 (French Quarter)
504-568-1885
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Muriel's Jackson Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,601 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Ann
Description: The Bistro at Muriel’s Jackson Square offers New Orleans classics like Gumbo, BBQ Shrimp, Oysters "Muriel", Turtle soup, Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-boy, Crabmeat Imperial, Shrimp Remoulade & contemporary Creole cuisine like Pecan Crusted Drum & Wood Grilled Tuna while the Courtyard Bar is the perfect place to drop by for drinks & appetizers. The Séance Lounge is the place for a relaxed, comfortable meeting before or after dining. Comprised of two areas, The Outer & The Inner Séance, the Séance also tells the story of a mystic & checkered past. The Outer Séance addresses the New Orleans era of Storyville & when Muriel's Jackson Square was one of the French Quarter's best bordellos! The Inner Séance is the preferred domain of the resident ghost, Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan, & is the perfect spot for an intimate conversation & a drink amongst its plush surroundings.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Satisfying and Entertaining Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This restaurant is large. It has 2 main dining areas, and then another in the back, as well as a lounge area upstairs. We ate in the dining room to the left when you walk in. The other room is painted red.

The decor was very nice with a lot of cute objects around the room. I ordered from the pre fix menu, so I received shrimp and goat cheese crepes, the famous BBQ shrimp and bread pudding. The crepes were tasty and the BBQ shrimp arrived with large shrimp with heads on...so I decided to use my fingers! The sause was delicious and it was a great choice. Bread pudding was good too. My husband ordered the pork chip and loved it.

Our waiter, Clarke, was super nice and accomodating. Everyone working in New Orleans for the Xmas season was working really hard for a number of days now, and I am sure they were all getting a little tired. But Clark was so great to us and we enjoyed his service sooo much. He even took us upstairs to see the 2nd floor, which I think has to be reserved for special occasions. (Not sure). So he led us toward the stairs, showing usthe table set for the resident ghost at the base...and then up into the 2nd floor landing, which had a great view of the long graceful white curtains and tables below. (There is a bar in this area as well, on the 1st floor, which is back where the restrooms are.) Clarke opened the door and we were inside a beautiful luxurious red room which was similar to the Foundation Room at the House of Blues in Las Vegas (although no where near as large as LV.)...it was all so wonderful.

I recommend this place because they don't make you feel rushed, the food is authentic and the atmosphere is very New Orleans-like.

• Visited January 2013

88% Recommend
“The Best Food in New Orleans!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

You have to eat here! My friend and I were recommended by my aunt and uncle to have lunch here and were we happy that we did. I have a seafood allergy (yeah, I know...why did I go to the seafood capital of the world?), and they were able to accommodate me by cooking the best blackened chicken I have ever had in my life in a pan that did not have seafood cooked in it. I loved this blackened chicken atop my spinach salad so much (they made it that way, per my request), that I asked the waiter to ask the cook, if he would come home with me. The service was phenomenal and my friend had the catfish special and she mopped up her plate with that awesome, freshly baked bread, just to enjoy every last drop of what she called the best, most interesting flavored sauce she's ever had on a fish before. This place is a gem and I would definitely go back there to eat if I was ever to find myself in New Orleans again.

Visited January 2013
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Sunday Brunch, Part of The French Quarter Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

During our month long stay in New Orleans we had a chance to try several places for Sunday brunch and Muriel's was our favorite. Wonderful Eggs Benedict and they make a great Bloody Mary.

The street scene just outside the high windows is great for people watching and I believe the music was by The Gumbo Trio, classic New Orleans Jazz.

• Visited March 2012
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Great New Year's Dinner at Muriel\s”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Muriel's was recommended as a good special occaission place for a New Year's dinner. It proved hard to get a later reservation, so we were seated at 5pm. Food and drink were very good, and the atmosphere is great. Service, and quality are top notch. Prices reflect the quality of the establishment.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
mcallen
“great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I went with the entire family, seven in total, and everyone had a great time and the BEST food. The atmosphere is like old time southern, with a hint of spookiness thrown in because of its past.
The bar is very well stocked with really nice cocktails that we all enjoyed so we would definately go back to this place

• Visited January 2013