“Food you expect, but above average” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gumbo Shop

Gumbo Shop
630 Saint Peter St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3214 (French Quarter)
504-525-1486
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #197 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Berlin, Germany
“Food you expect, but above average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I sat in the small enclosed courtyard, which was pleasant. The food was what you'd typically order in N.O., but it was better than bar food and the place is quieter. I had the specials, alligator sausage (first time) and catfish with crabmeat stuffing, and it was very good comfort food. If you'd rather not sit in a bar on Bourbon St., go here.

I had 2 beers, appetizer, entree, and dessert, and paid $45 minus tip. The catfish special was $22, which may have been overpriced, but the rest was very reasonable. $8 beers, $5 dessert.

Visited October 2013
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Sounds like the perfect introduction to New Orleans cuisine! Thanks for making us a part of your trip, and for the recommendations—that alligator sausage is hard to beat. Come back and see us next time you're in town, Daniel!

Best,

“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to eating here, a few days ago there was a long line so we decided to come back at a less busy time. I ordered the gumbo which was nothing special and my husband ordered jambalaya which wasn't warm. It was handled well, and reheated and we got a sample dessert for the inconvenience but we just had higher expectations. On the upside, the frozen daiquiris were delicious!

Visited October 2013
I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations. It's disappointing that we weren't able to get your husband's dish right the first time, but I'm glad we were able to get you a new, hot bowl quickly, and that you enjoyed our frozen daiquiris. They're the perfect compliment to our spicy flavors! I hope you'll give us another chance to wow you next time you're in town, but until then, thanks for your candor.

Regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
“Honest feedback on my experience at the Gumbo Shop”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Food was bland and tasteless, service was average would not recommend anyone to eat here. New Orleans has many good restaurant this is definitely not one of them, avoid disappointment go somewhere else.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
I'm so sorry you walked away disappointed, Nicola. We never want our guests to leave feeling this way, and as such I wish we had been able to discuss this during your visit. Still, I appreciate your candor, and I'm confident that your words will only allow us to become better. Thanks for your feedback.

Best,
Morgan Hill, California
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were in search of some good New Orleans food and my husband had read this place was good. The name sounds like a counter restaurant, but it's not. They have indoor and patio seating. I ordered the Complete Creole Dinner, which is a three course meal. The Chicken and Andouille Gumbo was very tasty. The Creole Combination Platter was also very good and a lot of food. My side dish was the Macque Choux Corn. This was good as well. For dessert I had the bread pudding and it was to die for. So warm and flavorful. It was like heaven in my mouth.
My husband wasn't impressed with his meal, but he ordered a boring blackened chicken breast and it was dry. He ate a lot of my food, so he was happy too.

Visited September 2013
Like heaven in your mouth—it just doesn't get better than that, does it? Although I'm thrilled that you loved your Creole Combination Platter, I wish your husband felt the same way about his Blacked Chicken. I'll look into this further, but still, I'm glad both of you enjoyed your visit! Thanks for the kind words, and for making us a part of your trip. Hope to have you back next time y'all are in town!

Take care,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager
“I can't believe this place isn't rated higher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This place is amazing. My wife and I had the best meal we've ever had in our lives here. Tears were practically coming to our eyes it was so good. I had a three course meal, and each one was progressively better. It's been a couple years since then and I forget exactly what I ordered, but this is a must stop anytime you are in the area. I've eaten at Commanders Palace, and the Gumbo Shop blows it away. Give me great food over reputation any day.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
A meal that moved you to tears? That's the best compliment we could ever dream up! On behalf of the entire team, thank you for taking the time to sing our praises. Your kind words really made our day!

All the best,