“Great restaurant away from downtown” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
New Orleans
“Great restaurant away from downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was a Saturday evening and my wife decided she wanted to go here for dinner. Sure! It's a nice place for a special date or just a regular Saturday. What I like is that you are greeted at the door and you are treated like family. As we looked over the menu, we were sipping on a glass of wine, a Bordeaux style blend recommended by our server. Once we placed our order, they brought out a hot loaf of soft French Bread. Frank had fresh lake crabs on the menu, so my wife ordered the soft shell crab. They were coated in a roasted pecan crust served with a meuniere sauce. She thought they were awesome. The mashed potatoes are made with real cream. You know they didn't come out of a box. All this plus some sautéed seasonal veggies. I ordered a daily special, the stuffed flounder. The crab meat was the perfect touch. We finished the dinner by sharing a piece of the pecan pie. It lived up to the advance billing. The caramel sauce was the perfect accent. The entire meal was just great.

What makes for a fantastic dinner out is not only the meal, but the service. And the service here is great! You have a waitress, but they take a team approach to service. They all take care of you. You raise your head, and someone is there to see what you need. I think this is because of the layout of the restaurant. It is a converted house where they kept many of the interior walls. The smaller rooms make the dining experience more personal. As you would expect in a family run restaurant, Frank came by to see how we were enjoying the meal. In this day and age, such a nice touch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“I thought we were he”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Terrific meal in a very welcoming and relaxing setting. The service was outstanding, as if we were having a relaxing family meal. You should definitely check out the specials. The yellow fin tuna was cooked perfectly and the pasta with the veal parm was refreshing. Take your time enjoying the full experience!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Underwhelming.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If this is one of the best restaurants in NO then their reputation as a foody city is under siege. Housed in an old house which has seen better days, there are too many tables squeezed into the floor plan, which puts guests on top of each other. We were able to follow the conversation of our neighboring table very easily. Service was quick and friendly, with a narrow wine list that was modestly priced. The air conditioning outlet dropped who knows what onto one of our guests; and a look at the ceiling gave us pause as to what the drops contained. The menu is also reasonably priced on the surface, and food came soon enough. The appetizers were mixed in quality. Rabbit loin good; shrimp salad plain and tasteless; seafood bisque delicious but possibly caused later gastro discomfort. The entrees were the same. Soft shell crab - one crab with a plate full of diner style vegetables. Lamb shanks were better, but also with plates of nondescript vegetables. Roast duck was a better choice; but all with the same vegetable ratatouille. All in all, average food in a tightly packed deteriorating house; with nice people steering the ship. Compared to the modern restaurant scene in the big tourist cities in the US today this place is stuck in the 1990s. No comparison to modern top restaurants; but judging by the age and turnout of the patrons, probably serving their needs.

Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas
“Best Pecan Pie Ever!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've have been going to this restaurant since the early 1990's and have enjoyed my experience each time. I enjoy the personal attention and the fact that the restaurant is in a home setting. The food is excellent! Tip: The Pecan Pie recipe is on their web site. Yum!

Visited June 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I live only a little over an hour away from NOLA, so I go there fairly regularly. I was headed there recently and wanted a nice dinner out somewhere I had never been so a friend in New Orleans recommended this place. It was fantastic! The food and service were both excellent. Located in a converted Victorian home, the atmosphere was very cozy and not at all touristy. It would be great for a nice romantic evening. It was a little pricey, but well worth it. You'll find meats here, such as rabbit and venison, that you won't find at a lot of places and everything is cooked superbly. I'm so thankful to my friend for recommending this place. It's not the easiest place to find so make sure to get good directions before heading out and make sure to get a reservation since seating is somewhat limited at times.

• Visited January 2013