“A bit underwhelming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Neighborhood: Garden District
Boulder, Colorado
“A bit underwhelming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015 NEW

After all the hype, we were a bit disappointed with our lunch. The food was good but not outstanding. I had a cassoulet - actually, pork and white beans are not enough to call a dish a cassoulet, but I won't pick on names here. Pork was pretty good but soaked toast to me is a contradiction in terms.

My dad asked for a "very well done" steak, probably raising a few eyebrows in the kitchen - but that's the way he likes it. Then a staff member came and asked whether he'd really like to have no pink at all (yes!) and should they butterfly the steak just to make sure (yes!) We were very impressed by this level of service, until the steak came and it wasn't butterflied at all and was definitely pink in the middle. dad liked it nevertheless, but it was a funny moment.

Finally, the quail stuffing was too spicy - yes, I know this is Cajun country, but could they include a warning on the menu for us hapless northerners?

All in all, I'll be fair and give it four stars, because the food is good, just not as good as we expected, and the ambiance and service (except for this one small incident with the steak) really shine.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Every time we visit the Crecent City we try to arrive on a Thursdaynight so the we may enjoy the wonderful Friday Martin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015 NEW

When entering the front door you are immediately greeted by your host inquiring as to your reservation. Making a reservation is highly recommended, by the way. Friday afternoons are very popular at Commanders but oh so worth the trouble. As you are escorted to your table you are greeted by every server that you pass. They exude southern charm and the atmosphere here is alive with southern hospitality, and did I mention the food? Darling, you must try the turtle soup with the Sherry drizzle. I cannot express how much we love to dine upstairs, in the enclosed veranda, with large glass windows on several sides. We love the view of the courtyard with the live oak trees. Elegance is in view everywhere. White napkins on light colored laps and dark napkins on dark clothes give one an over all idea of the class of Commanders Palace. Don't dress in shorts or flip flops, those are for Cooter Browns up the street car line away's. You do not need a tuxedo but do look nice. It adds to the charm.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Top of the Line but with Bumps”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015 NEW

Not my first visit to Commander's but it never disappoints. Ambiance is extraordinary, and the food outstanding but not always perfect. My salad was just OK, but my spouse, who had a different selection thought hers was outstanding. My crusted drum I thought was absolutely first rate, but my spouse, who ordered the same dish, thought hers was overcooked. Just different strokes for different folks.

Wausau, Wisconsin
“Excellent lunch in over the top surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015 NEW

My son and I had a lovely and affordable lunch in amazing surroundings.

The cloth wall coverings in the entrance lobby were embroidered. Embroidered. I have never before seen embroidered wall coverings. We were seated in the Garden Room, with its walls of windows looking out on the ancient oaks.

All of the staff, especially the wait staff, were fantastic, just top of the line. I have never before felt so pampered. We had at least three people taking care of our table.

Our meals were amazing. We both ordered lunch specials; the drum for me, as I try to eat as much fresh seafood as I can while visiting a coastal area, and the goat empanada for my son.

The drum was excellent, but the goat empanada was not only absolutely delicious but had a flavor profile that was different from things I've eaten before. It was not an item I expected to see on the Commander's Palace menu, as I don't think it's a traditional Southern dish (assuming Southern means the southern part of the USA), but it was fabulous.

The turtle soup was out of this world.

I greatly enjoyed the truly wonderful food, the amazing service and the somewhat old fashioned luxury of the surroundings.

Eating at Commander's Palace is not just a meal, it's an experience.

And, at lunch, it's even pretty affordable.

Ajijic, Mexico
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015 NEW via mobile

Great meal. Tasso shrimp appetizer and the rib eye steak were perfect. Not too much of the old creole menu left but the food nonetheless is awesome. Save room for the soufflé for dessert.