“Food heaven & customer services at its highest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 1,650 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
“Food heaven & customer services at its highest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015 NEW

It's been awhile where I've been go a place where the food and the customer service is impeccable. This restaurant is at the highest on the restaurant pedestal. They deserve a "A+++" Make sure you get the Turtle soup. Best decision you will ever make in New Orleans.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Orleans, Louisiana
“a nice restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015 NEW

So I am a little at odds with about thirty five hundred other reviews but this is not my favorite Nola restaurant. I've only been here twice for dinner. The fist time was in summer and we had a spectacular server and very good food. The food is not overpriced but the wine may be. It is a very large restaurant. I feel like I'm dining in an attraction. A dress code? Really? In New Orleans? In August?

The second time was a special occasion and I made a point of telling them that. They gave us a very undesirable table and our service was terrible. They mixed up my order and we waited so long for them to take our wine order that we stuck a piece of silverware in the wine list and put it on the side of the table hoping to get the server ( or anyone's ) attention. It was poor service but good food. Pricey wine, but it's a very popular restaurant with a strong local following. Go there and experience it, It's a New Orleans staple. The food is good and I have had amazing service there. I just prefer a more intimate experience and poor service in that restaurant is unacceptable. Having said all that it's a very good restaurant and if you are good with the size and dress code you should have a memorable experience. There are just places I prefer.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, Ontario
“on a Sunday Night Mardi Gras weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015 NEW

We had reservations in advance, and service was prompt and attentive, although surprisingly less professional then I would have expected for the high level status of the restaurant. Perhaps they match service to the (assumed?) attitude of the guests as they arrive? Or the waiter could tell that we're reasonably laid back travelers, and didn't need a red carpet rolled out for us, even when we chose to dine someplace upscale and fancier.

The food and drinks, lived up to, and perhaps exceeded our expectations and the hype. I'm not sure that you could be disappointed. It did not disappoint us.

It seemed the dress code might have been a bit more relaxed during Mardi Gras, as a number of people were in Jeans, or very surprisingly casual. Which was not how we were prepared for the evening. That bugged us a little, we had reservations well in advance, and planned dining here in advance...Had we known, I wouldn't have packed my dress pants/jacket for our trip and we would have had a 4-some dining instead of our 2-some if we knew that was the case.

Perhaps it might be worth while eliminating the dress code all together, or being more firm with it...

Our servers were accurate and timely, and things were well organized, and the crowd around us in our section seemed to all be enjoying themselves. Despite that the floor manager in our section, was very uptight and stressed out. Noticing this on multiple occasions made me smile but also negatively impacted our enjoyment. Guy needs to relax. Thing were going fine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia
“A perfect Birthday Brunch Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015 NEW

We went to Commanders Palace to celebrate my birthday. The Jazz Brunch had a perfectly festive atmosphere with live music, balloons, and fancy cocktails. The menu selections were interesting with a New Orleans flair, the meals were delicious. The wait staff was attentive and perfect. We had to walk through the kitchen to get to our table in a separate dining room - that was interesting in a good way. We were well taken are of and I loved having my birthday celebration here. They made the day special.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015 NEW

We enjoyed our romantic dinner immensely. The food was wonderful beyond description (DO NOT miss out on the bread pudding soufflé!). The service was impeccable. Our wait staff (Chad, David and Megan) made sure we were well cared for without being the least bit intrusive. Can't wait to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere