“Wonderful food and atmosphere!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 1,596 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
“Wonderful food and atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014 NEW

I was there with a small group of people and enjoyed both the service and the food. It was on a Tuesday night and it was not as crowded as it might be on a Sunday. Lovely, I would go there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Perfect occasion restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014 NEW

We had an excellent dinner. The service is always impressive. I have had lunch and weekend brunch here many times. This was my first dinner and I would be happy to go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
La Vergne
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014 NEW via mobile

Wonderful experience. Food and service was great. Turtle soup was incredible. Shrimp and grits delicious. Loved the bread pudding souffle. Will definitely go again!

Visited September 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Never a Mistake at Commander's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014 NEW

As a resident of New Orleans I must admit Commander's is one of those restaurants I might take for granted and I regret even overlook when dinning out but fortunately we decided to have dinner there with friends recently and I was reminded why it consistently tops the review charts. At Commander's the service is impeccable, like a well choreographed ballet without being overbearing or pretentious. Some of the top restaurants in Las Vegas have perfected this service approach but rarely do you see it operating at this level on a regular basis. The food is excellent and exactly what you would expect at the price point, again never a mistake or ever a let down. The turtle soup, Commander's salad and gulf fish are all pretty much as good as it gets, try getting this good a meal in NYC or SF at twice the price, can't be done.

I grant you that Sunday Brunch can get a little noisy and rambunctious but I would suggest that the trick to eating at Commander's is choosing your time and room in which to eat. If I am looking a fun frivolous Sunday to knock down several milk punches and show an out of town guest a really care free side of New Orleans then downstairs with balloons and all is my place. If I am looking for an elegant, quiet dinner with that perfect service and an atmosphere that is second to none I am making reservations for the upstairs Garden Room. The beauty of dining out in a city with over 800 excellent restaurants is matching the experience and cuisine to your mood and expectation. There is a reason this establishment is always in the top five! If you don't want a fun interactive experience don't go to Commander's for Sunday Brunch and for sure don't go to Galatoire's on a Friday afternoon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Wolcott, Connecticut
“Great service and atmosphere, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014 NEW

While we were in New Orleans we had lunch at Commander's Palace. I've been wanting to go here forever after seeing it on TV and hearing people talk about it. We took a cab from the French Quarter to the Garden District for our lunch reservation. We were met at the door and immediately welcomed when we walked in. We were walked to our table in the courtyard and right away met by our head waiter. He was very friendly and knowledgable about the menu. He had some recomendations and was very helpful. The place is nice, sitting outside was great on the beautiful day. Our food was good, not great, but good. The dessert was delicious and we enjoyed a few of the specialty cocktails and 25 cent martinis. The prices were not bad for a place like this, great deals for lunch. I would go back again for a nice meal and service, I'm glad we tried it out.

• 3 of 5 stars Food