“Cool history but not exceptional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 1,613 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
“Cool history but not exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014 NEW

Been to New Orleans a lot and absolutely love the food when I visit. Sorry to say I didn't find this restaurant to be all what it was hyped up to be and compared with other Eateries I'd say its not even on my top ten list of local establishments. Food was good, not great and when you couple that with high prices I think there are too many other amazing food establishments in the area and surrounding area. In saying this, I would say seeing it once is worthwhile with all the history and hype and it is right across the street from a cemetery which is not your typical restaurant view. I understand if you go for lunch they have 25c martinis. Maybe that would have sealed the deal for me

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Forest HIlls,NY
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 NEW

You must go. You have to make reservations ahead of time. You must get dressed up. The greeting is excellent and the service is awesome. I tried turtle soup there and it was so good. I highly recommend this resturant.

Visited September 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 NEW

This place is pricey (I think we averaged about $70 pp with a drink or two each, for brunch). But its totally worth it. The food was amazing. Favorites: eggs Benedict (out of this world, life changing Benedict with a hot sauce hollaindaise and short rib on a biscuit), shrimp & grits, turtle soup and gumbo. The tomato salad (like a caprese) wasn't terribly good, so I'd avoid that (hard mozzarella and less than flavorful tomatoes.) The service was impeccable - love when everyone at the table is served simultaneously by a group of table staff. The live music was wonderful. This was probably the highlight of our trip. And a fun excuse to dress up in the day time.

Visited September 2014
New York City, New York
“Pretentious”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 NEW

From the moment we entered & were only begrudgingly given a table on the first floor (they were busy but no less than 5 4 tops were always empty) we knew we we're in for a long night.
Garlic bread as a chef sampler is not really impressive.
The waiter let us know that he thought 2 small dishes was inappropriate.
Daniel in New York doesn't think so.
The room is cavernous & felt like a warehouse.
The Commander salad, read Caesar salad was interesting with goat cheese in it making it too rich.
The gumbo was a thick soup with a few shrimp but without rice or anything else.
We had gone as we wanted to visit the Garden District. Next time we will visit without visiting the Commanders Palace. There are many better places in this foodies town

Dallas, Texas
“Awesome Place with Awesome Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 NEW

This is a dream come true! Great food, great service, and and overall great experience. We dined here for lunch while on vacation to New Orleans. It was highly recommended and we are very glad we went. M-F during lunch they offer 0.25 martinis and those did not disappoint either! We were anticipating a very small glass with a watered down martini but we got the real deal and they were fabulous!
I cannot say enough good things about this place. The service is impeccable and the food was out of this world. If you are in New Orleans, this restaurant needs to be on top of your list!!
**FYI, they do have a strict dress code and shorts are never permitted so check their web site for their dress code prior to going so that you are not disappointed.**

• Visited September 2014