“A must!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,615 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Sugar Land, Texas
“A must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

If you don't have time to dine here at least gram a cocktail and sit in the courtyard. It is absolutely stunning. The food is so amazing and service is impeccable. Make sure to call ahead for a reservation and their is a strict dress code.

Visited January 2014

• Thai first
London, UK
“Fantastic, start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Hard to fault - from welcome to cab home. Great service, all round. The new York strip steak was perfect - the whole meal in fact. The Foxglove chardonnay was particularly excellent. Great pecan pie dessert too. Such a great place - if you're in Nawlins then definitely check it out.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Gotta love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Back for a visit after 20 years bring overseas. A time warp back.

Great service, and an excellent room on second floor for lunch.

Had all the signature dishes again, plus a round of their 25c martinis which can't but help to put you in a good mood.

Top restaurant but good value for money, just like 20 years ago.

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Staff and Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Upon arrival for a 12-day gastro vacation in the area, I made a dinner reservation from the hotel before even unpacking. They seemed to be able to accommodate last-minute reservations in the off season on a Monday, although I sense that simply showing up might not have been successful (my presumption is that Garden District venues get many more locals). As well, they prefer that gentlemen wear a jacket, but it is not required. However, given the high level of customer compliance, I would have felt out of place without one.

By comparison, all the good restaurants in the French Quarter didn’t require a mid-week reservation during my same trip. Some recommended Tuesday to Thursday as the least busy nights, and then things start to fill up fast as the conventioneers arrive and depart.

I had the seven-course “Chef’s Playground”, and they allowed me to substitute-in their famed bread pudding soufflé with whiskey sauce as the desert – it takes a while to prepare, so order it early. All the courses were sublime, especially memorable for me being the soft-shell crab. You should definitely spring for the wine pairing.

I could go on about the food, but I really must comment about the staff. They are as professional as what you’ll experience at the top-end restaurants in the French quarter, likely even more so. But what really set them apart was simply how down-to-earth, convivial and approachable they were, compared to some of the stiffer old-school staff who would serve you elsewhere. Even among the younger staff under training, you could see that they had that right “spark” and would go far in the business.

I never did check to see if they charged me extra for the desert upgrade because I simply didn’t care once I had tried it. If you ask on the way out, the front desk will give you the bread pudding soufflé recipe (and it’s in their cookbook). I will be going through a lot of dried leftover baguettes in the next few months, while trying to perfect it.

This restaurant should be on everyone’s Bucket List.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Food and Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our party of 6 (3 Couples) went to Commanders Palace during a trip to New Orleans. We got dressed up to experience this place that everyone raves about. I can see why! Our Server Lorenzo was amazing from the start. He was knowledgeable, funny and very charming. He was simply amazing - you *have* to ask for him. My husband had Quail - it was simply delicious. I had a steak that melted in my mouth! We were also treated to a tour of the Restaurant - I think we tricked them into thinking we were important! It's old school and traditional and I loved it. In this busy world of chain restaurants and fast food, it's nice to have a proper meal where the waiters escort the Ladies to the restroom and the Staff can surprise you with the perfect cocktail just by asking you a few questions.

Visited August 2014