“Service at its best!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Neighborhood: Garden District
Hawley, Pennsylvania, United States
“Service at its best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

The highlight of this restaurant is the wonderful staff that work here! Knowledgable, efficient, friendly.. By far the biggest price tag on our restaurant tour. Veal Chop-phenomenal! Exquisite wine list.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

McAllen, Texas
“Birthday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

What is there to say thy hasn't been said already? Amazing meal, spectacular service and beautiful location. Turtle soup was so delicious that I just want to eat bowl after bowl. The tomato shrimp soup of the day was infused such delicious shrimp flavor that I wanted an never ending bowl. From the moment you walk in the staff makes you feel so welcome and our waiter Todd was beyond friendly and informative. He was very helpful in describing the dishes and helping you choose. I'm so happy to have finally been able to enjoy this wonderful place!

New Orleans, Louisiana
“A NOLA classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Went at Christmas time and enjoyed a great lunch as the carolers sang. Don't splurge, get every course, finish with the chocolate soufflé.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Spectacular service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

If you're reading this, you're doing your homework and you know fine dining. Commander's Palace from the outside does not look like a fancy schmancy restaurant, in my opinion anyway - quirky and unique but does not echo fancy. But if you're doing your homework, know that this place has a dress code: no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, sweat shirts/pants. That should cover any surprises that resulted in previous negative reviews. The service from start to end was courteous, respectful, and prompt.

My husband and I are not locals but we were in NOLA for a week and we like to eat and eat well, not exclusively 4/5 star restaurants but close. It was an anniversary dinner and it was noted on our reservation. CP made it special for us and it was as if everyone who served us made a note of congratulating us. Our dessert plates had written in chocolate "happy anniversary" on the rim.

Now for the food. We ordered the foie gras pain perdu. Amazing, highly recommend. My husband has consumed many foie gras over our years together and believed that this was by far the best. He got turtle soup and I the gumbo and we share everything. I wasn't blown away by the turtle soup (maybe it was the sherry) and I thought the gumbo had a strong barbeque influence which disappointed me a bit. I know every restaurant can have their own interpretation but I wanted CP's to be the best but instead it was just different. Husband ordered crispy soft shell crab and I lemon verbena roasted redfish. His crab was amazing - large, crispy yet tender, and flavorful. I was a little disappointed in my redfish because the sauce did not taste anything like lemon verbena but more of a courtbouillon that was a little salty to me. But the fish itself was moist with generous amounts of crab on top. We ordered the bread pudding souffle and pecan pie, both of which were delicious.

Overall, I would recommend CP and would return if we were ever to visit NOLA again. I only gave 4 stars because I am a little spoiled as a fine diner, and to receive 5 stars would have to be spectacular in every dish. CP would still be listed as a place I will remember because they were a part of our anniversary celebration and made it special for us.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Best place ever - Can I give it a 10?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We loved Comander's Palace. Order the fancy bread pudding when you order your meal because it takes 45 minutes to cook! The blackened fish is supurb. The turtle soup - yum yum! Celebrate a special anniversary or birthday. Worth the money!

Visited August 2014