“Reputation well deserved” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Neighborhood: Garden District
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
“Reputation well deserved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Ate here for the first time. Immediately impressed that it seemed like the whole staff personally welcomed us. I cannot imagine the service being better. The wine list was extensive. I have never seen a wine list with a 1/10th of the number magnums they had on the menu. They even had double magnums, wow. The food was good to great. We started with the Pork Belly appetizer. It was delicious. I had the soup 1-1-1, a tasting of all three soups. They were all good, but the turtle soup was by far the best. I can see why its always on the menu. I had the shrimp and grits and they were very good. We ended with the Bread Pudding. My wife made me split it, oh the horror. I am getting my own next time because it was one of the best desserts I have ever had. It was simply wonderful. They made my daughter some fried chicken strips with French fries. OMG, it was some of the best fried chicken I have ever had. I think it was pan fried. The fries were delicious too. It was a great experience, hope to be back some day.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Duxbury, Massachusetts
“A New Orleans institution”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

If you want to go all the way to impress in new Orleans this is the place to go. Service etc is usually impeccable as is the food. Only negative on this visit was that I had to tell them that we were not in a hurry. Appetizers arrived while my guests were still just drinking their cocktails and if I had not said anything I think the entrée's would have been there before we had come close to finishing the appetizers...in other words I got the feeling they wanted us to move on...It was an early sitting (6:30) so might have been the reason but still not what you expect in a truly high end restaurant. After mentioning it pace was perfect
Otherwise certainly not cheap but excellent as usual in this venerable restaurant.

Visited March 2014
Victor, New York
“Very enjoyable dinner...presented with class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Finally ate at Commanders, and was not disappointed. Professional service, typical Nawlins friendly.
Ate the pecan encrusted gulf fish, their classic dish. Very good. But the best was the Bread Pudding Soufflé, and make sure someone at the table orders the bananas foster...the flames are cool. A bit expensive...but worth the price of admission. Don't agree with some posters that it's overpriced...this quality of food and service is worth every penny. New Orleans just does it right.

Georgetown, Texas
“Solid, old school icon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

...but not world-class food. Good, but not perfect, service (lots of different people stopping by our table- this lead to a few "slips through the crack" by our main waiter). I love that we were brought through the kitchen on the way to our table. Also, their bread pudding souffle IS world-class.
Well worth going if you have never been.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Oh my gosh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were fortunate to be invited to the Commander's Palace for Diner, and what an experience. It;'s absolutely lovely, the service is flawless and fun, and the food is magnificent. Our waiter was absolutely outstanding and full of fun and energy. We tried everything! Turtle soup (next time I'll skip the wonderful liquor added to it, because it was fine without it). Appetizers were magnificent. I finally tried some pork belly, and it really needs to be renamed - delicious. I had a very fresh pecan crusted fish, and desserts were exactly what you would have imagined.

I've been to fine restaurants, and this is clearly one of the. Make sure you ask to see the room with the grand old tree outside.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere