“Fine birthday celebration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Neighborhood: Garden District
Austin
“Fine birthday celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Although the restaurant was fully booked, the maitre d' squeezed us in when we explained it was a birthday celebration. When showed to our table, balloons and festive toque greeted us. Service was impeccable and food perfectly prepared. Bread pudding a must dessert.

Visited December 2013

88% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“deserves the hype!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

we almost decided to skip this place since i was afraid that it would be an overpriced tourist trap. however, we had one of the best meals ever!!! we dont often indulge in $75/per person lunches, but commanders palace was well worth every penny. we loved the fact that to get to our dining room we had to go though the kitchen which led us into a pleasant light filled space overlooking the central garden and fountain. since it was very cold dining outdoors was not an option. we found the more formal dining room dark and stuffy for lunch so were very happy with our table. service was beyond perfection and extremely friendly. i had been apprehensive that since we were not dressed-up we would be treated as second class citizens....not the case! dinner may be a bit more formal. every dish we tried was wonderful. dont miss the bread pudding souffle which is made to order. yes this is very rich decadent dining. and a very special treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Metairie
“Pleasantly surprised by the dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Limited menu, and had a hard time deciding what to get, but I chose the gumbo to start, with oyster and game, (duck and quail). Delicious! Others had the lobster bisque, which looked wonderful, but I was thrilled with my gumbo.

Got the seafood cakes, and wow, were they great! Beautiful butternut squash puree, delicious! Interesting toppings on the seafood cakes, so crispy and delicious! Others got the fish, which they were not pleased with, did not like the skin on the fish. Others got the oyster poboy, which I'm no way going to get at a fancy restaurant, I can get even better at a mom and pops.

Dessert for me was the bread pudding souffle. Fantastic! Others got the satsuma sorbet, which was beautiful, in a sugar bowl, so pretty. I'm not a fan of satsumas, so I didn't try it, though wish I had. Other member of the party got the strawberry shortcake, looked delicious, big portion.

Many in the party enjoyed cocktails and the 25 cent martinis, but not being a drinker, I stuck to the iced tea, which ran empty often, and I had to ask for refills. I did get my water glass refilled and changed out even after a while.

40 bucks later, and I was still hungry, though, so not something I would choose for my money's worth. Husband and I had gone to KPauls for our anniversary, and I actually would choose it over Commander's, if you had to choose.

But if you are in the Garden District area and want to leave room for a large dinner, and price is no object, I would recommend a visit to Commander's.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Perfect Christmas Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My boss and I stopped in for lunch during the Christmas Season. We were pleasantly surprised about the seating arrangements. We were seated in the courtyard. We had a nice walk through the kitchen. It was exciting. The service here is remarkable. I have never experienced such efficient, perfect, service. We were seated next to the tree's with a wonderful view of the decorations on the back wall. The experience was the most enjoyable I have ever experienced. I tried new items and was never disappointed. The Commanders Martini on the rocks is definitely the way to go. The staff makes you feel important. They treat you as if your royalty and the most important table in the room. The way they package the food to go, was just right to make you smile.I would suggest this to anyone who wants to treat themselves.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Nice place but the food was way too rich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I came here because of the high reviews. It was a nice, romantic place for food. The service was good and the food selection was impressive. However, we found the food to be to rich (too much butter). After eating half a portion, we did not quite feel right. Overall, it is a nice place if you like rich Creole seafood.

• 4 of 5 stars Food