“Elegant Old New Orleans Lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #2 of 1,579 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Neighborhood: Garden District
Ocean Springs,MS
“Elegant Old New Orleans Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The lunch a friend of mine and I had recently had Commander's Palace is one of the most memorable and delightful meals I have ever experienced. We arrived 30 minutes after our reservation time (we tried to call and explain but never got through)...and we were warmly welcomed and whisked right to our table. We were escorted by a friendly young man, through the kitchen, where all staff smiled and spoke, to a small dining room that overlooked the courtyard. Our waiter addressed me by my name, seated us and placed our napkins in our laps and proceeded to bring our water and garlic bread. I chose the Commander's martini...(they have several martinis at lunch that are 25 cents each...YES 25 cents) and it was a beautiful blue and quite delicious. I chose a 2 course lunch option, and had the Cochon de lait over crawfish boudin with pickled vegetables accompanied by a Commanders house salad. The salad was large and filled with bacon, cheese, croutons and a light dressing. Very satisfying. The entree was spicy and the pickled veggies with the pork was perfect. (16.00)
My friend had a 3 course entree...which included gumbo, quail, and bread pudding souffle.
(32.00). (All delicious!) I tasted the bread pudding souffle and it was perfect...The atmosphere was quiet, elegant and relaxing. The staff was courteous and pleasant and friendly. I felt very pampered and enjoyed a very delicious and well presented meal in a beautiful old New Orleans setting..... I look forward to returning to this fabulous restaurant!

• Visited July 2013

88% Recommend
San Francisco, CA
“Always the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

It's hard to write what has not already been said but I cannot think of many other restaurants that have such consistently excellent service and food. The restaurant is very fairly priced and every meal I have had there is memorable.

Visited June 2013
Chicago
“Once in a lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our tour guide arranged for a group lunch after a garden district tour and it was an amazing experience. We had a sampling of many different dishes that included their turtle soup and bread pudding. Our guide and the Commander Palace staff treated us incredibly well and it was truly one of our trip highlights

Visited May 2013
Sam F, Manager at Commander's Palace, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We're so happy you enjoyed your trip to Commander's Palace. Please visit us again!
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Just as splendid as my memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

One of several restaurants I wouldn't miss on a visit to New Orleans. Favourite dishes this time - the shrimp and tasso starter, the justly famed turtle soup, the pecan crusted gulf fish. We couldn't resist the bread pudding and were glad we didn't. Our friend declared the Commander's was as fine as anywhere he'd dined in Paris.

• Visited June 2013
Okla.
“Perfect Lunch after the Garden Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had the perfect lunch after the Garden Dist Tour which was fun also. This place made the tour, the food and service was exceptional. The waiter explained all the dishes and cocktails. Food was wonderful and staff was absolutely perfect. They even serve from the left and don’t reach over without permission. Not sure of the cost because it was rolled up into the tour price. Best Watermelon Martini in the world. Best bread pudding soufflé.

• Visited July 2013