“A bit pricey and stuffy but the food was excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 1,612 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
Balt, MD
“A bit pricey and stuffy but the food was excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had dinner here with my wife on my birthday and was satisfied with everything. The wine list is excellent and the waiters are extremely helpful with the menu and drink/wine list. I really enjoyed the turtle soup, and my fish dish. Both were really tasty. Dress code was a little too much since I normally don't pack dress clothes for a vacation someplace that is normally hot and humid, especially when I'm flying. The place was a little snobby for me personally but what it all comes down to is the food and service, which both were excellent. A bit pricey but I would recommend dining here for special occasions and not really a place to bring the kids unless you want a $600 bill.. They did bring out a ridiculous chef hat for me to wear for our desert which was playful and fun. I would go again next time I'm in NOLA.

Decatur, Alabama
“Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided to have lunch on a weekday and arrived when they opened. As we were shown our seat, each server stood in the hallway and greeted us... every one of them. It was like we were royality. Our head server was polite and informative and the support servers knew what they were doing... like how to keep from leaning over my food when filling my glass, etc. It was a little pricey but for great food and fantasic service, it was well worth it!

Michigan
“Dress Code”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were expecting a big white Plantation looking building, not a seaside blue two story building that looked like a former hotel or house. Couldn't go in as since we were doing a garden district walk in 90 degree heat, we couldn't pass the dress code. I understand if we wanted to sit in a dining room, however as famous as it is, it wouldn't be a risk to their 'reputation' to have an outside patio that was lax on the no shorts rule for tourists interested in a 25 Cent Martini. Upscale Business Casual and 25 cent martini's shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Washington, DC
“Excellent as Always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We make a point to go to this restaurant every year for our annual visit to New Orleans. Once again, this place is right on with service and quality of food. You will pay more here, but it's well worth it. Make sure you take some time and walk the beautiful neighborhood either before or after the meal. Also, have a drink or two in the bar next to the courtyard.

Visited April 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

While visiting New Orleans for the 4th of July we decided to try out Commander's Palace. We were not disappointed! From start to finish the experience was perfect. Making reservations was a snap but we had to reschedule twice and the staff was completely gracious about it. We let them know that we were on a tight schedule for dinner and were told to simply let our captain know and they would make sure we were out on time. Upon arrival we were greeted by the most pleasant staff! They definitely make you feel welcome there. The restaurant itself was beautiful. Once seated, our team took very good care of us. Everything was prompt and the servers were polite and helpful. I liked that the restaurant offers several ways to enjoy dinner: 1) a la carte, 2) a full tasting menu, or 3) if you are strapped for time (like us) there was a 3 course menu to choose from. All 6 of us ordered the 3 course menu and everyone was very pleased. For me, the food was perfect. Everything I had was flavored well and presented beautifully. There were plenty of ooohs and aaahhhs when they brought out the blueberry shortcake and souffle desserts! They are not stingy with the dessert portions and we probably could have shared but we managed to clean our plates ;) The only negative thing I have to say is that I was not impressed with the cocktails. I expected much more from the L&L Collins (like the presence of lavender, as it suggests) but really it just tasted like lemonade. My husband didn't care for his either, so that was disappointing. However, everything else made up for that. They timed the meal perfectly and we were out the door right when we needed to be. I highly recommend Commander's Palace for a romantic night out, a celebration, or if you just want to be treated well and eat delicious food. It is pricy but deservedly so. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2013