“Great service and lovely food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
“Great service and lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The pecan crusted drum was done perfectly. The stuffed shrimp with 5 pepper chilies was the best. The bread pudding was good, but it wasn't special. I wouldn't order it again. I only ordered it because it had such rave reviews. My son ordered surf and turf ( pork and shrimp) and it was spectacular. We were there for brunch on Sunday. The service was spectacular and made it a great dining experience.

Visited June 2013

Lincolnshire, Illinois
“A Perfect Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

If I were to open a fine dining restaurant, I would sent my staff to Commander's Palace to learn how to provide a gracious dining experience.

The food here is spectacular; the turtle soup is the best in the city and my wife's fish was not only moist and perfectly prepared, but presented in a fashion that looked like it was fighting on the hook, The enitre menu is award winning but that kind of rating can be deminished by the the serviece staff; that's not the case at Commander's Palace.

The moment you walk in, you are greated by the entire staff. Every table is assigned a waitperson and a wingperson for your table. This results in nothing being ingnored. They are attentive to the point that if the water in your glass sits for more than 10 minutes, they wisk it away and give you a fresh glass.

The restaurant is not inexpensive, and one might expect that the staff would be be rather haughty. This is not the case. The staff is quite friendly, very attentive without being cloying and clearly commited to making the dining experience as pleasant as possible

If you go to NOLA, Commander's Palace is a must. Any fine dining restaurant that can thrive across the street from a cememtary is a must see destination. Don't pass it up.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Elegant brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We can't recall better and more personalized service. As a customer you feel special and that the staff genially cares about you. Very professional and polished staff. Of course the food is excellent and the jazz trio enhance the experience. Worth the extra cost.

Jaco, Costa Rica
“Over the Top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Tucked in the New Orleans Garden district, I would rate this restaurant as one of the top 10 in the world, and it never disappoints. Excellent service and ambiance, the food is great, and plentiful. Make your reservations early so you don't get shut out. The locals and tourists make a fine mix of clientele, year round.

• Visited September 2012
So Fla USA
“This is one of the Great Restaurants in the USA - wonderful for groups, too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I love New Orleans mostly because of the people, music, fine restaurants and cocktail lounges. Two of my favorite restaurants are Commander's Palace and Galatoire's. I was planning a dinner for 40 of my company's best customers, friends, and my colleagues and chose Commander's. We had our own, separate room upstairs. The group sales manager, Morgan Trulen, did an outstanding job of helping us plan the details ahead of time. She is detail oriented, and made some terrific suggestions. She communicates well. Our evening started with hors d'oeuvres passed by the servers, open bar, and then we sat down to a wonderful dinner of Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo (it was delicious and the texture was like velvet), White Shrimp Remoulade (fresh shrimp with a light remoulade sauce -- best shrimp and delicious sauce), a Seasonal Salad with Vinaigrette (wonderful), Pecan-Crusted Black Drum Fish with a Crab and Corn Sauce (simply wonderful - the only thing that would have made it better would have been about another cup of that sauce-lol), some of the finest, aged Black Angus Tenderloin with Whisky-Smoked Onions and Glace de Viande (it was so good -- you could definitely tell it was aged but without that funky "aged" or sour taste -- just delicious), and for the finale, the bread pudding soufflé with hard sauce. The food was fantastic. As a special touch, the restaurant had printed individual menus for each guest. The tables were beautifully set. Flatware was placed at the table immediately before each course so nobody had to be concerned with using the wrong fork. The service was warm, very professional, friendly, attentive, and comfortable. They didn't hover but you didn't need for anything, either. Sean was the maître d' for our function and he did a superb job. And, while it appeared that everybody knew exactly what they were doing and that a function like this was routine for them, we didn't feel like we were just "another party." Coffee was served with pots of hot milk -- what a nice touch. The coffee was as thick as motor oil -- so good and flavorful. The milk and plenty of sugar was a must for this coffee. A couple of manager-types were nearby and introduced themselves and encouraged us to have a good time and told me to let them know if we needed anything. We didn't need anything except a crane to hoist us outta there! All of our guests are in the food service industry -- and, as an extra added nicety, Sean offered to let our group go through the kitchen on the way out. As everybody was saying goodnight to each other, I had a number of our guests tell me that this was the "best meal that they had ever had." And, I have to admit, that it was that way for me, too. It's not just the food, the service, or the atmosphere -- it was everything put together in perfect balance. Our group was cordial with lots of conversation ... but when the food was put down, you couldn't hear a peep. Between courses, again, lots of laughter and talk. I'm always a little nervous when planning an event for my organization -- but everybody at Commander's did everything possible to be sure that we had a memorable and completely satisfying time. Incidentally, the exec chef, Tory McPhail, just won Best Chef South from the James Beard Foundation and he was up against some formidable competitors. The food is Creole -- but a little lighter than "traditional" Creole. But don't take that to mean that it isn't totally heaven to eat. It just means that you can eat a whole lot more of this wonderful food (6 courses!!!) without having to OD on Lipitor. It's plenty rich -- just not overly so. Thanks to everybody at Commander's Palace for an excellent dining experience from a group of 40 professionals in the foodservice industry! We would definitely have another function here -- and I know that everybody in our party would return here for a meal on their own if they're ever in New Orleans again.