“Favorite restaurant in the world” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,521 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Houston, Texas
“Favorite restaurant in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We've travelled extensively but agree that Commander's Palace is by far our favorite restaurant amongst all the places we've visited. We make sure to come here every time we are in New Orleans. Brunch is a fun and delicious experience..don't miss it. Also, the creole cheesecake is excellent!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Martinis for a quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Commander's Palace offers 4 kinds of martinis for a quarter at lunch. It appeared that many of those present in this huge restaurant had several based on the laughter and fun folks were having. It also offers price fixes for two items and three items, plus alacarte. We did one three item price fix and a two item price fix. We shared the turtle soup, which was excellent. My wife had the crusted drum fish and I had the short ribs. They were both fantastic! We had a strawberry shortcake like dessert, which was also excellent. We took the trolley out to the Garden District where the restaurant is located, and walked around this beautiful neighborhood afterwards. The whole experience was a wonderful diversion from the French Quarter.

Lake George, New York
“The best of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A trip to commanders Palace is NOLA at its finest. Impeccable ,friendly service. Great dining,especially upstairs and magnificent choices. I was particularly impressed that it was so unlike a tourist type dining experience. Filet mignon and their special salmon entree was the best ever. Without a doubt on of the very best dining experiences I have had across the states!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Everything I Expected and More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We came here for the Sunday Jazz Brunch prior to Mardi Gras and had a wonderful experience. Loved the festive atmosphere. The food was even better. The service was amazing. I had the gumbo, crab stuffed flounder, and creole bread pudding souffle. The bellini was just ok. The experience was worth the splurge.

Visited February 2013
falmouth, maine
“still manages to live up to its reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

For comparison sake...I've eaten at The French Laundry, White Barn in Maine, Cochon, le Bec Fin in Philadelphia, Dominique's in DC (back in the 80's), Scholteshof in Hasselt, Belgium, PostRio in SF, Brennans, and hundreds of other good restaurants. I think I know good food. I also like a good burger and am not above a chain. I was at CP maybe 10 years ago on a business dinner and it was out of this world.
So I took my fiancee there while on a conference april 2013. I'm glad to see it is #5 in NOLA on Trip Advisor.
And it is worth every penny, is surprisingly reasonable, and is a true standout.
So. From the minute you walk in you are treated specially. The host is welcoming. Our reservation was ready. They walk you through the kitchen, where there's a chef's table. It's bright and clean. Stunning decor (the owner, Ella Brennan, lives in the house next door). We sat outside, something I truly detest. But the courtyard was clean, bug free, and gorgeous. Comfortable tables. I can't remember - wait - our Waiter was Todd. Beaming, enthusiastic, attentive. Knew his food, wine, beer. It felt special from the first moment. You know, sometimes you walk into a place like this and feel intimidated. Not so. it is like they WANT you to enjoy it and be relaxed. Not stuffy or obnoxious at all.
Our meal: We had a sazerac, which I've had before, and I don't recommend because wow it is powerful. It was the first time in 58 years of drinking I felt hungover WHILE I was drinking it. but it was perfectly made. Barb had a glass of Sauv Blanc which was very good. Then we ordered the foie gras, which was molecular - only 2 bites - but among the best tasting things i've ever eaten. The garlic bread alone is perfect. I had a caesar salad, which was a little atypical but perfect - just delicious, and we each ordered a standard fish entree - i had pecan crusted fish; barb had grilled fish. I ordered a side of chevre grits, and we split cheesecake and coffee and a bottle of the house rose champagne, which was very very good.
The total bill with tip was about $300. I think! Memory might have been clouded by the combination of sazerac and champagne!
Anyway, everything was unobtrusively perfect. There wasn't a bite I didn't enjoy, anything I could criticize, even the waitress (they shared tables) who brought me the wrong soup order and dropped 2 utensils in my lap! Oh, by the way, rather than have the standard turtle soup we ordered something called 1-1-1- - which was three demitasse cups of the turtle soup, a curry soup, and a third soup - all terrific. And when we pointed out that they'd brought me the wrong thing initially - poof - that was it - removed, apologies, right dish brought....no issues.
A twice in a lifetime experience. Just go. Enjoy.