“still manages to live up to its reputation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,549 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
falmouth, maine
“still manages to live up to its reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

For comparison sake...I've eaten at The French Laundry, White Barn in Maine, Cochon, le Bec Fin in Philadelphia, Dominique's in DC (back in the 80's), Scholteshof in Hasselt, Belgium, PostRio in SF, Brennans, and hundreds of other good restaurants. I think I know good food. I also like a good burger and am not above a chain. I was at CP maybe 10 years ago on a business dinner and it was out of this world.
So I took my fiancee there while on a conference april 2013. I'm glad to see it is #5 in NOLA on Trip Advisor.
And it is worth every penny, is surprisingly reasonable, and is a true standout.
So. From the minute you walk in you are treated specially. The host is welcoming. Our reservation was ready. They walk you through the kitchen, where there's a chef's table. It's bright and clean. Stunning decor (the owner, Ella Brennan, lives in the house next door). We sat outside, something I truly detest. But the courtyard was clean, bug free, and gorgeous. Comfortable tables. I can't remember - wait - our Waiter was Todd. Beaming, enthusiastic, attentive. Knew his food, wine, beer. It felt special from the first moment. You know, sometimes you walk into a place like this and feel intimidated. Not so. it is like they WANT you to enjoy it and be relaxed. Not stuffy or obnoxious at all.
Our meal: We had a sazerac, which I've had before, and I don't recommend because wow it is powerful. It was the first time in 58 years of drinking I felt hungover WHILE I was drinking it. but it was perfectly made. Barb had a glass of Sauv Blanc which was very good. Then we ordered the foie gras, which was molecular - only 2 bites - but among the best tasting things i've ever eaten. The garlic bread alone is perfect. I had a caesar salad, which was a little atypical but perfect - just delicious, and we each ordered a standard fish entree - i had pecan crusted fish; barb had grilled fish. I ordered a side of chevre grits, and we split cheesecake and coffee and a bottle of the house rose champagne, which was very very good.
The total bill with tip was about $300. I think! Memory might have been clouded by the combination of sazerac and champagne!
Anyway, everything was unobtrusively perfect. There wasn't a bite I didn't enjoy, anything I could criticize, even the waitress (they shared tables) who brought me the wrong soup order and dropped 2 utensils in my lap! Oh, by the way, rather than have the standard turtle soup we ordered something called 1-1-1- - which was three demitasse cups of the turtle soup, a curry soup, and a third soup - all terrific. And when we pointed out that they'd brought me the wrong thing initially - poof - that was it - removed, apologies, right dish brought....no issues.
A twice in a lifetime experience. Just go. Enjoy.

Tampa, Florida, United States
“Traditionally glorious...Commander's Palace.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Graciousness defines the experience at this palace of sensual delights. From the warmth of the initial greeting to the unobtrusive attentiveness of the wait-staff, one really is treated as a valued guest. The rich panoply of high-end New Orleans cuisine leaves a person with some impossible to resolve dilemmas; the solution is straight-forward: chose several ! Intensely complex turtle soup reveals layer upon layer of flavors set off by the added sherry accents. Commander's roumalarde graces glistening fresh gulf shrimp. A Bloody Mary arrives at the table without vodka; almost immediately a server arrives with a bottle of vodka frozen in a block of ice, from which he adds the icy vodka to the drink....mmmm. Main dishes vary almost daily and are often sourced from current seasonal sources. I just don't have enough adjectives for the dessert selections...and the strolling musical combos who take requests from the diners, or play New Orleans classics. This is not simply a fine restaurant, it is an enriching life experience.

Connecticut
“Delicious, great for lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Delicious, great service, and reasonably priced. What? Did I say reasonably priced? Yes. Monday through Friday lunch at Commanders Palace is reasonably priced. A two course lunch plus two Martinis...$16.50. Martinis are $0.25 each. That's a quarter per martini, up to 3 per person.
The menu is diverse, the waitstaff is friendly and courteous and perhaps most importantly, the food is really delicious. Your opportunity to enjoy one of Americas top 25 restaurants at a reasonable price.

San Francisco, CA
“You won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had dinner here a few nights ago with friends. All four of us were extremely pleased with the service, and especially with the food. Certainly one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had. Should I get back to NOLA, I'll return here, without a doubt.

Our waiter was a kick....funny, but very professional at the same time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester, Virginia
“Classic dining in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Commanders exemplifies New Orleans dining. Service was impeccable. The pork belly appetizer is phenomenal. It is rich slow roasted thick bacon that melts in your mouth. Pecan encrusted fish is delicious. Bread pudding soufflé is a must, even if you are not a dessert fan. Our table overlooked the garden and it was lovely. Wine list is extensive. Our favorite restaurant in the U.S.