“Southern charm of New Orleans” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,530 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Oroville, California, United States
“Southern charm of New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

The service is what this place is known for and it lived up to it's reputation. The menu was change from what was posted online. Probably due to Lent. The menu was heavy in seafood, lamb, veal. I would recommend the chef's three course meal. Definitely order the Bread pudding with sauce. Overall the experience was very nice. The service is very attentive. The food is well prepared and fresh.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wantagh, New York
“Sunday Brunch was our best experience in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived at 10:30am, which must h/b the first sitting because when we entered the entire staff was lined up, on each level and greeted us as we made our way upstairs to the Garden Room. This is the room you see in every indoor photo of this restaurant. The poached egg on the pulled pork and bisquit, the bread pudding souffle, the coffee, all excellent! The strawberries in my salad weren't all good quality and the peach wine spritzer was tasteless, (I did not complain, so I did not give them a chance to fix the problem).

Now to the experience part ... I had read Rosalyn Story's "Wading Home," before going to New Orleans so I had first-hand knowledge of Katrina's devastation, Jazz music and second lines at funerals, and had a feel for the area. So, when the three-piece jazz band came around to our table I was prepared. They came by twice and lingered long enough to answer my questions and play us "New Orleans funeral" music!

The morning was elegant, delicious, fun, we felt so special!

(We taxied there and took the St. Charles Avenue trolley back to the French Quarter. The trolley is really just down the block and costs $1.25.)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Orleans
“Staple New Orleans restaurant that's worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Commander's Palace gives the feel of old New Orleans. Although the prices are high and a strict dress code is enforced, the experience is well worth it. Commander's offers tremendous Louisiana cuisine in an environment that is unique in upscale restaurants.

Visited June 2012
Richardson, Texas
“Amazing indulgent brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My fiancee and I had their jazz brunch during our last visit to New Orleans, and we were highly impressed. The food as service were top notch (as expected) and the jazz band was wonderful. Our waiter Chad, was spot on. While Brennan's is nice for brunch, Commander's Palace actually feels like it is worth the price.

Visited February 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Very professional and Very Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were greeted by a very cordial host and only asked to wait for a minute or so before our table was ready. When we were taken to the table by a very nice young lady I noted we were at the top of the stairs and would need to endure more traffic than I preferred. She very efficiently and politely took us right to another table that suited us just fine.

Our Captain was polite, professional and attentive but not overbearing, his name is Hugo if you have a choice! The wine list was plentiful …and I remember thinking the 97 Cab we ordered (can’t for the life of me remember which one now …) was quite underpriced! It was delicious by the way!

Our meals were superb! She had the Gulf fish – Sheepshead and I had the scallops which were both fantastic! I also had the turtle soup which is a must! Desert …Bread pudding soufflé was heavenly!!!

I noted Robert De Niro and his wife were in one dining room we passed through and John Goodman and guests were sitting 3 tables from us so they definitely got the memo- don’t miss this dinner! I’m told their Jazz brunch is not to be missed either, enjoy!

• Visited February 2013