“Sunday Brunch was our best experience in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 1,606 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
Wantagh, New York
“Sunday Brunch was our best experience in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived at 10:30am, which must h/b the first sitting because when we entered the entire staff was lined up, on each level and greeted us as we made our way upstairs to the Garden Room. This is the room you see in every indoor photo of this restaurant. The poached egg on the pulled pork and bisquit, the bread pudding souffle, the coffee, all excellent! The strawberries in my salad weren't all good quality and the peach wine spritzer was tasteless, (I did not complain, so I did not give them a chance to fix the problem).

Now to the experience part ... I had read Rosalyn Story's "Wading Home," before going to New Orleans so I had first-hand knowledge of Katrina's devastation, Jazz music and second lines at funerals, and had a feel for the area. So, when the three-piece jazz band came around to our table I was prepared. They came by twice and lingered long enough to answer my questions and play us "New Orleans funeral" music!

The morning was elegant, delicious, fun, we felt so special!

(We taxied there and took the St. Charles Avenue trolley back to the French Quarter. The trolley is really just down the block and costs $1.25.)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
New Orleans
“Staple New Orleans restaurant that's worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Commander's Palace gives the feel of old New Orleans. Although the prices are high and a strict dress code is enforced, the experience is well worth it. Commander's offers tremendous Louisiana cuisine in an environment that is unique in upscale restaurants.

Visited June 2012
Richardson, Texas
“Amazing indulgent brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My fiancee and I had their jazz brunch during our last visit to New Orleans, and we were highly impressed. The food as service were top notch (as expected) and the jazz band was wonderful. Our waiter Chad, was spot on. While Brennan's is nice for brunch, Commander's Palace actually feels like it is worth the price.

Visited February 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Very professional and Very Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were greeted by a very cordial host and only asked to wait for a minute or so before our table was ready. When we were taken to the table by a very nice young lady I noted we were at the top of the stairs and would need to endure more traffic than I preferred. She very efficiently and politely took us right to another table that suited us just fine.

Our Captain was polite, professional and attentive but not overbearing, his name is Hugo if you have a choice! The wine list was plentiful …and I remember thinking the 97 Cab we ordered (can’t for the life of me remember which one now …) was quite underpriced! It was delicious by the way!

Our meals were superb! She had the Gulf fish – Sheepshead and I had the scallops which were both fantastic! I also had the turtle soup which is a must! Desert …Bread pudding soufflé was heavenly!!!

I noted Robert De Niro and his wife were in one dining room we passed through and John Goodman and guests were sitting 3 tables from us so they definitely got the memo- don’t miss this dinner! I’m told their Jazz brunch is not to be missed either, enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“One of the Best for Fine New Orleans Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was my third trip to New Orleans with my husband, and each trip we have had one "fancy meal" that we planned and anticipated eagerly as we are both "foodies." When we planned a long weekend during the President's Day holiday, one of the first things we decided to do was make reservations for brunch at Commander's Palace. We had tried one of the other famous brunch restaurants in another neighborhood for both dinner and brunch, but we felt our dining experience in the Crescent City was not complete without visiting the blue-and-white-striped mansion in the Garden District.
We were so glad we did! The room was decorated with balloons and they commented that it was all for my husband's birthday (he recently celebrated a birthday, so I mentioned that when making the reservations). We originally thought we'd try the set menu option, but after Jose described the other mouth-watering options, we decided we had to go out on our own. Our first course choices were the Oysters Absinthe in cream sauce with a puff pastry top and the basket of shredded potatoes with pulled chicken topped with a poached egg. Both were over the top. Next, I was impressed by the delicious, creamy, corn sauce my pecan-crusted white fish sat in, topped with micro greens. My husband enjoyed a scrumptious crawfish and goat-cheese frittata. For dessert, his classic pecan pie was executed masterfully with a thick, carmellized crust of pecans covering the custard. My bread pudding souffle was a unique, light and airy finish to a perfect meal with all the flavor of traditional bread pudding but none of the heaviness. This was worth the splurge!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere