“Prix Fix lunch=$24 bargain!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 1,769 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
“Prix Fix lunch=$24 bargain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been to NOLA often but have avoided the famous restaurants bc of price and the feeling that they couldn't possibly live up to their reputations. Well, Commander's Palace really did! We went for lunch because of the prix fix menu and .25 martinis and enjoyed every bite! We'll go back!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank TravelingHart

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Top Notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

A trip to Commander's must be on your New Orleans list! From the moment you step inside the restaurant, your experience will be amazing. The ambiance, service, food, drinks, and overall presentation are top notch!

• Visited February 2013
“Exquisite Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Our Valentine's Day Lunch at the Commander's Palace was paired with a walking tour of the Garden District with Tree from Racontours. We had somewhat of a set menu which reflected some of the history imparted on us during the tour.

Our meal started with a mini strawberry infused, creole seasoned beignet, followed by Turtle Soup, Shrimp & Tasso Henican, a choice of several entrees (I had the herb crusted chicken, my husband had the Shrimp & Grits), a shot of sazerac, and our choice of dessert. I chose the strawberry shortcake, my husband had the bourbon molasses cake. I should mention we fully took part in the 25¢ martinis - the melon martini was delicious. The team waited on us hand and foot. For a table of 9, every person's plate was set down at the same time, glasses of water and iced tea were not refilled, they were replaced. Every need was promptly attended to, every question was kindly answered with knowledgable authority. What made the experience so perfect was the staff being so efficient yet nearly invisible. There was never a need to flag some one down, my husband didn't even notice his water glass was changed, he only knew it was once again full.

We came to New Orleans to EAT. This was the best food we had while in New Orleans, hands down,  and we did not eat cheaply. I did not care for the shrimp, but I do not care for seafood anyway. My husband happily took the rest after I tried a bite and the rest of the table raved about it.

When dessert came, imagine my delight when both our plates had "Happy Anniversary" neatly written in chocolate on the rim. I would have nothing to complain about, had I not tried my husband's molasses bourbon cake - which was nothing short of orgasmic. It made me lament my seemingly plain strawberry shortcake.

For us, the worst part of eating at Commander's Palace was the fact we ate there early on in our trip. It really made all the other restaurants pale in comparison, in every aspect.  This restaurant is a MUST, but keep it a treat and save it for last!

1 Thank ppin1pod
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“One the Best Restraurants in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We have been eating here for more than forty years. The food and service are consistently 5 star. In June we ate at the Chef's table. WOW!!!! It was the most fun we have ever had. The three hour meal consisted of duck, soft shell crab, watermelon gazpacho, ceviche of summer tomatoes with crab boil mozzarella, escargot with cream cheese gnocchi flambeed with cognac, mushrooms, and spring vegetables. The soft shell crab was well seasoned and topped with caviar and eaten with soft-shell bisque. The dry-aged duck breast was served over wilted greens with sweet potato purée. The pork spinalis was served with a pork belly boudin. This was followed by a wonderful cheese course. Finally, we were served the "Dessert Bomb," literally every dessert served at Commanders Place. Unbelievable. Oh, each course was paired with a different wine. My daughter-in-law has written extensively about this meal on her food blog and provides a much better review than I possibly could. Make your reservations now.

1 Thank Travelingpriest
“Wonderful Experience with the Best New Orleans Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Commander's Palace for the first time recently for lunch on a rainy afternoon. We had a wonderful time. The wait staff was more than helpful with the menu, where we were from, had we been to this location or seen that, etc. They were some of the most attentive wait staff I have ever experience (maybe a restaurant in the late '90s in Fez, Morocco had more staff that was more attentive, but not as sincere). The food was really good (and we have extremely high standards as we love to cook gourmet food daily). Perhaps not the ultimate culinary experience, but for the value it was amazing compared to the rest of the restaurants we dined at while in New Orleans!
I had the Turtle Soup and Pulled Pork lunch special (as I couldn't handle anymore gulf food after a week) and my wife had the crab melt and tomato soup. The food was carefully cooked, not overly prepared with clarified butter (like most places in New Orleans), and was presented very well. Their martinis are 25 cents, yes cents, if you order lunch. Although far from the best martini I have had, I couldn't resist but try one for that price (they weren't bad, just weak and not worth the sugary calories).
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone headed to New Orleans (it's adjacent to an old walk able cemetery), but would recommend reservations.
There is a reason this joint has been a restaurant since 1880 or so. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2013