“Looked forward to it too much perhaps?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 1,606 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Neighborhood: Garden District
Riverton, Wyoming
“Looked forward to it too much perhaps?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked our reservation for Commanders Palace back in July. My sister ordered a special dress to wear, my husband a dress shirt and tie, and I wore a nice dress. We were the only ones in the resturant with colored clothing. We didnt mind, but it was almost as if we were dressed up the most, and even the waitress said how nice we got so dressed up for dinner! I suppose it isnt as fancy as some people say!

Food was okay. For dinner we all three had turtle soup (decent, but Desire's on Bourbon is just as good), my sister and husband ordered the filet mignonn (which was deliciois. My husband said its the best he's ever had and would go back there just for that). I ordered scallops, which were delicious as well (but nothing too fancy). I ordered the bread pudding I had heard so much about. It was..okay. It was good, but I dont know if perhaps I was looking forward to it for so long I thought it would be the best bread pudding ever (its really not that special in my opinion). My husband and sister ordered cheesecake which was delicious, but once again..not the best I've ever had.

The service was very good, with no complaints. We were taken through the kitchen and to the diniung area across a little courtyard. Overall, a good dinner but I wouldn't put it on my "MUST DO" list the next time we visit NOLA. My husband, however, says he would go back just for the filet mignon! He loved it! Difference of opinion I suppose.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“They take good care of you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stopped in for a drink after walking around the Garden District and the receptionist graciously fit us in for dinner the following night. There are 2 ground level dining areas, one is inside the main building and the other is across the courtyard. The main dining room is elegant, and inside it, going up to the 2nd floor on the stairs the James Beard awards are framed. The room seemed dove grey with pale wood and was very beautiful.

The other dining room is across the large courtyard and is a glassed in area, complete with a glassed in tree growing right in the room. Both dining rooms are equally nice.

Our waiter, Daniel, was very helpful and as the evening went on, we got to know him a little and he was fabulous to converse with. We started out by picking wine, from their extensive list. We chose a French red, at $115, to splurge. We had a little talk with the sommelier, and were very happy with our choice. Then we had it decanted.

Next was appetizer choice and my husband got a trio of soup, turtle, mushroom and something else, all fabulous. I had a Shrimp and Tasso Henican appetizer, which was in a spicy sauce, but not toooooooo hot. It was great. We took a leisurly time eating this and then it was time for the entrees. I had the lamb, which wasn't chops or anything, but a joint I think, but it was cooked with rosemary and the sauce was unbelieveable, dark brown and luscious and the meat was plentiful and tender, falling off the bone great.

My husband had scallops which were great also...then we split a bread pudding souffle, which came with whisky sauce and it was a great ending....all in all, we dressed up for this occasion, and we were treated with great care and consideration by these fabulous southerners.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Excellent vegetarian meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Commander's Palace (CP) is an institution. Located in the Garden District of New Orleans, CP is a restaurant you must go to (if your budget permits) when in NOLA.

When you make your reservation, be sure to request a table in the "garden room" for incredible, tree-top ambiance!

I went for lunch and had the strawberry champagne salad, which was lovely, and for the main event, upon my request, the chef cooked up an outstanding vegetarian entree with farro and fresh vegetables. The chef went out of her/his way to ensure I had a great experience, and I appreciate the thoughtful (and delicious) gesture.

The three desserts my parents and I ordered were all delightful and screamed New Orleans decadence: strawberry shortcake, an ice cream sundae with candied pecans and a praline sauce, and a creole bread pudding souffle with a warm whiskey cream (hello!).

Of course, the experience did not end there, as CP has a 25 cent martini lunch special. I tried the cosmo and blue curuco martinis and both were delicious and definitely packed a punch!

If you have some time after visiting CP, checkout the nearby Lafayette cemetery (right across the street from CP), the gorgeous southern mansions throughout the Garden District, and the shops along Magazine Street.

Enjoy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Pole
“4 of 5 stars (few minor flaws)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

(see explanation of ratings below)

The downstairs is sleek, new and ultra-modern. The upstairs is quaint, old-fashioned and is in need of some minor repairs.

Can't beat the food. Love the jazz brunch.

I've seen some complain this is pricey: I disagree. You want pricey? Try
Restaurant R'evolution or August!

About $40 per person before gratuity (jazz brunch ordering a la carte).

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food (no table service)

2) casual dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A must do when in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Commander's Palace is one of those places you need to go to in New Orleans. Yes it is a little pricey, so expect to drop a few dollars when you are there, but it is worth it. I would also recommend taking a cab as there is very little parking near the restaurant. If you don't want to spend as much money as you might for dinner, look into going for lunch.

The service is done by a team of waiters, water pourers, all very attentive and pleasant. I recommend doing a prix fixe as it is a bit cheaper an a la carte. Also, consider the bread pudding souffle. You need to order it when you arrive, so don't hesitate when you are looking at the menu.

Overall, it is a great experience and one you need to do when in New Orleans.

Visited November 2012