“Excellent food, atmosphere and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
Newark, New Jersey
“Excellent food, atmosphere and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had Jazz Brunch at Commanders Palace. What a wonderful meal, particularly after having a disappointing meal at Emeril's the night before. Had the gumbo, shrimp bisque, turtle soup, shrimp and grits, blue crab frittata, strawberry shortcake and bread pudding soufflé. Everything was exceptional. The staff was warm, welcoming and friendly. The pace of the meal was prompt but not rushed. Took a LONG walk back to the French Quarter afterwards to work off all of that food, but it sure was worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Kenner, Louisiana
“This place lives up to its excellent reputation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We enoyed dinner 12/222/12 in the upstairs garden room with nice biews of the lush courtyard. The quail was our favorite with the ribeye a vlose second. The lemony , citrus topped trout was tasty, but a very small portion was served.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, Mississippi
“You Must Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I had no expectation of this restaurant to be honest. My mother made all the reservations for our little mini-holiday and when she mentioned this one, I said 'sure'. I had heard of it but knew nothing about it. I will forever be singing its praises.

This was, without a doubt, the most welcoming restaurant I have ever walked into in my life, in any city, in any country. Given it was the holidays, we were welcomed with bell necklaces. We were escorted upstairs and were welcomed by every staff member we encountered. Although this could have been annoying or too much, it felt incredibly sincere. I felt as if they were thrilled I was there and were looking forward to serving me lunch.

The meal service was attentive but not suffocating. I accidentally spilled my water and the waiters were quick to fix the problem and did not make me feel bad about it. Water glasses were consistently filled and bread was readily provided.

The food was lovely. I chose the two-item lunch and had a wonderful salad and the best shrimp and grits I have ever had. We also availed ourselves of the 25 cent martinis (no gimmick and really yummy!). Everyone at the table was equally pleased with their meals. Only one of us got dessert as we were to have an early dinner. How we wished that were not the case immediately as we were all amazed by the souffle. So delicious and beautifully presented!

I will definitely try to visit this restaurant everytime I am in New Orleans!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntington, New York
“Wonderful dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Liked the ambiance, food, and service - had a wonderful experience and would love to return sometime.

Visited November 2012
“Upscale and Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had a party of 12 for a business dinner and everyone loved it. Turtle soup and gumbo were excellent starters. Most had the Pecan-Crusted Gulf Fish, some the Creole Spiced Cowgirl Ribeye and I had the Black Skillet-Seared Gulf Fish... amazing and wonderful presentation. They know how to not only prepare the meal, but to present it. One of the best I've had this year!

Make sure you get a reservation and a cab ride from the French Quarter will cost you a few bucks extra - but as others have said - it's well worth it.

Bread pudding? I didn't try it but one of the gentlemen in the party wouldn't even share it with his wife! Do this - you'll be glad you did.

• 5 of 5 stars Food