“This place lives up to its excellent reputation.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 1,528 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Kenner, Louisiana
“This place lives up to its excellent reputation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We enoyed dinner 12/222/12 in the upstairs garden room with nice biews of the lush courtyard. The quail was our favorite with the ribeye a vlose second. The lemony , citrus topped trout was tasty, but a very small portion was served.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oxford, Mississippi
“You Must Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I had no expectation of this restaurant to be honest. My mother made all the reservations for our little mini-holiday and when she mentioned this one, I said 'sure'. I had heard of it but knew nothing about it. I will forever be singing its praises.

This was, without a doubt, the most welcoming restaurant I have ever walked into in my life, in any city, in any country. Given it was the holidays, we were welcomed with bell necklaces. We were escorted upstairs and were welcomed by every staff member we encountered. Although this could have been annoying or too much, it felt incredibly sincere. I felt as if they were thrilled I was there and were looking forward to serving me lunch.

The meal service was attentive but not suffocating. I accidentally spilled my water and the waiters were quick to fix the problem and did not make me feel bad about it. Water glasses were consistently filled and bread was readily provided.

The food was lovely. I chose the two-item lunch and had a wonderful salad and the best shrimp and grits I have ever had. We also availed ourselves of the 25 cent martinis (no gimmick and really yummy!). Everyone at the table was equally pleased with their meals. Only one of us got dessert as we were to have an early dinner. How we wished that were not the case immediately as we were all amazed by the souffle. So delicious and beautifully presented!

I will definitely try to visit this restaurant everytime I am in New Orleans!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntington, New York
“Wonderful dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Liked the ambiance, food, and service - had a wonderful experience and would love to return sometime.

Visited November 2012
“Upscale and Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had a party of 12 for a business dinner and everyone loved it. Turtle soup and gumbo were excellent starters. Most had the Pecan-Crusted Gulf Fish, some the Creole Spiced Cowgirl Ribeye and I had the Black Skillet-Seared Gulf Fish... amazing and wonderful presentation. They know how to not only prepare the meal, but to present it. One of the best I've had this year!

Make sure you get a reservation and a cab ride from the French Quarter will cost you a few bucks extra - but as others have said - it's well worth it.

Bread pudding? I didn't try it but one of the gentlemen in the party wouldn't even share it with his wife! Do this - you'll be glad you did.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“I hate to admit it, but this was the best meal I ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I'm a very snobby NYC resident. Our restaurants are the best, right? But my meal at Commander's Palace was the most amazing, most impeccably presented meal I've ever had in my life. Memorable.