“memorable dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 1,613 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
“memorable dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We made reservations about 5 months in advance, I felt a little foolish calling that far in advance, but when I called, I was told that they did not have the time slot that I wanted, so I was glad to call that early! I let them know that we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary that night. When we arrived in November, we were greeted with, "so glad that you are celebrating your anniversary with us". Well, this was a wonderful start. We were led upstairs and at each turn where the staff was standing we were greeted with 'hello' or a lovely smile. We had a lovely table by the window and our waitstaff were all fabulous. We started with oysters in puffed pastry. The dish was delicious. I had the turtle soup which was so good and my husband had gumbo made with a veal stock, the flavors were so rich in his gumbo. Our entrees were scallops and my husband had pecan crusted redfish. Both were great. My scallops were cooked to perfection. My husband has a habit of ordering as much as he possibly can at certain restaurants so that we get a good taste of a variety of dishes and Commander's Palace was one of those places. So, he also ordered a side dish of poached crab meat poached in limoncello. I am so glad I could not talk him out of it! This was one of the most decadent, luxourious dishes I have ever had. It was so rich and wonderful, we could not even finish this. We had their signature bread pudding for dessert. I had an Adelaide's swizzle to drink and my husband had Sazerac's. This was a memorable event because the staff makes you feel so special. I can't wait to come back to New Orleans and eat here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Land of corn and pigs
“As good as it was 20 years ago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

At least 20 years ago I visited New Orleans and ate at the Commander"s Palace, it was awesome then and it is just as awesome today. The food was incredible and the service was also incredible. Part of the beauty of this restaurant is that it isn't in the French Quarter, but in the Garden District, a gorgeous setting to have a fabulous meal. I believe this is a must stop if you are visiting New Orleans.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good Jazz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Brunch there is an event. The Jazz band really adds to the experience. They are friendly and make it a lot of fun. The "bacon and egg" appetizer is really nice, much better than it sounds. The shrimp and grits was very spicy - too intense for me. The bread pudding is very rich and very sweet. With the street car down because of construction it is very hard to get there from the French Quarter. The bus is really unpleasant so take a cab.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Irving, Texas
“Sunday Brunch involves a meal and live music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Made reservations 2 months in advance. Upon entering the restaurant, it can be intimidating as your hostess and wait staff all greet you. Please dress according to dress code or you can be refused. We received a tour of the restaurant. The seafood cakes were excellent as well as the cinnamon and apple pinwheel and pecan pie. The turduckian tasted fabulous. A 3 piece jazz band tours the restaurant and plays songs at your request once they arrive at your table. Even the Birthday boy received special recognition from the restaurant and band! John Goodman lives 3 blocks from restaurant and owns a key to the back door. Time frame: Our reservations for 6 began at 10:30am and we left the restaurant at 1:00pm. Good choice!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Edgewood, Kentucky
“At the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had lunch at Commander's Palace while in NO for a conference. Actually a pretty good deal, $22 for a bowl of gumbo and shrimp (LARGE) with grits. Superb service. Everything was excellent. And 25 cent martinis at lunch that I did not partake of as I had business after lunch :-(

Visited October 2012