“At the top” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,560 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Edgewood, Kentucky
“At the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had lunch at Commander's Palace while in NO for a conference. Actually a pretty good deal, $22 for a bowl of gumbo and shrimp (LARGE) with grits. Superb service. Everything was excellent. And 25 cent martinis at lunch that I did not partake of as I had business after lunch :-(

Visited October 2012

• Thai first
Charleston SC
“Worth it to get there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Have to take a cab or the train out of city to get there but worth it. Make reservations and men should bring a jacket. Sad to say that like much of the tradition in our society, even Comm Palace seemed to be relaxing their dress code. We didn't go last time in town bc we didn't all have jackets. This time we planned/packed for only to see a number of tourists that were helping to suck out the intended style.

Maze of rooms in a rambling old house. We were led thru the kitchen to our wing. Bit of an 80's or 90's slightly dated feel...may have been when they did their last reno but still nice. We did not get the room on the website which looks very nice. Our table was in a hallway wrapping around a glassed courtyard. Service was attentive and very good.

Turtle soup was fine. Forget what I had as an app and looking at the menu on line I am not reminded. But the slow cooked shank was excellent. The bread pudding souffle was not worth special ordering at the beginning of the meal. Soupy and wet. Not a solid, textural dessert.

But all said, still worth the trip. And bring the jackets and don't be the goofs in the cruise wear sporting their blue tooths thru the meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good Cajun Food - Solid Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had never eaten at this restaurant but read reviews and know about the family (owners). I was taking key customers so I did not want to make a mistake. The restaurant has a good location and very easy to get to from all hotels. The food was very good but I must say not "wow"! However it was a very solid choice and did not disappoint. Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was good. The prices are fine for this type of restaurant in New Orleans.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Extraordinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We dined at Commanders on 11/17 for our Anniversary Brunch. It was top notch from start to finish. From the moment we walked in - we felt like they has just opened that day for us. Everyone greeting us with "Happy Anniversary" and saying congratulations. Very nice. The three team service was incredible. We got "fresh ice" several times - haha. Loved that. The food was perfection. Bread pudding capped a perfect meal. It had been a while since I had been and it was my husband's first time. We ate, smiled and clapped for 2 hours. It was a great experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Redondo Beach, California
“Commander's Palace - Old World Elegance in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Commander's Palace. Everyone said "it's a must". "Home of the Banana's Foster". We" had to go"...
So we did and had yet another fabulous meal in New Orleans.
While looking over their very extensive and well thought out wine list or should I say "book of wines", we made our selection.
Being that we were still a little full from lunch we opted to share their Autumn Pumpkin Salad (It could have been my dinner it was so delicious). I enjoyed the Pecan Crusted Gulf Fish with Prosecco Poached Louisiana Gulf Crab (finished every mouth- watering bite) and tried my daughters' Candy Apple Lacquered Quail (I was so happy she ordered this as I was very curious) equally outstanding!
I appreciated that our server(s) were both very attentive and let us relax and slowly enjoy our meals. We ended our lovely dinner with a bang as our server flambeed their famous Bananas Foster at our table. We licked our bowls clean, they called for a taxi and we called it another memorable night in New Orleans.

Visited October 2012