“Good Cajun Food - Solid Choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
504 899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 1,607 restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Garden District
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good Cajun Food - Solid Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had never eaten at this restaurant but read reviews and know about the family (owners). I was taking key customers so I did not want to make a mistake. The restaurant has a good location and very easy to get to from all hotels. The food was very good but I must say not "wow"! However it was a very solid choice and did not disappoint. Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was good. The prices are fine for this type of restaurant in New Orleans.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Fort Worth, Texas
“Extraordinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We dined at Commanders on 11/17 for our Anniversary Brunch. It was top notch from start to finish. From the moment we walked in - we felt like they has just opened that day for us. Everyone greeting us with "Happy Anniversary" and saying congratulations. Very nice. The three team service was incredible. We got "fresh ice" several times - haha. Loved that. The food was perfection. Bread pudding capped a perfect meal. It had been a while since I had been and it was my husband's first time. We ate, smiled and clapped for 2 hours. It was a great experience.

Redondo Beach, California
“Commander's Palace - Old World Elegance in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Commander's Palace. Everyone said "it's a must". "Home of the Banana's Foster". We" had to go"...
So we did and had yet another fabulous meal in New Orleans.
While looking over their very extensive and well thought out wine list or should I say "book of wines", we made our selection.
Being that we were still a little full from lunch we opted to share their Autumn Pumpkin Salad (It could have been my dinner it was so delicious). I enjoyed the Pecan Crusted Gulf Fish with Prosecco Poached Louisiana Gulf Crab (finished every mouth- watering bite) and tried my daughters' Candy Apple Lacquered Quail (I was so happy she ordered this as I was very curious) equally outstanding!
I appreciated that our server(s) were both very attentive and let us relax and slowly enjoy our meals. We ended our lovely dinner with a bang as our server flambeed their famous Bananas Foster at our table. We licked our bowls clean, they called for a taxi and we called it another memorable night in New Orleans.

Visited October 2012
California
“Wow! Service extraordinaire.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

From the moment you enter, you will be treated like you dine there daily. Everyone remembers your name, pays attention to each and every detail of your dining experience. The food is fabulous. Enjoyed two meals there in our 4 days in New Orleans, a delightful birthday dinner and scrumptious Sunday Jazz brunch. Have fun!

ILLINOIS
“Best Food Every Time - Also Perfect for Lunch after Lafayette Cemetery Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Except for our homemade Smoked Duck Gumbo this place has the very best Gumbo I have ever had.
I have been here at least once for every trip to New Orleans. Why not?
The lunch option is best value.
We combined it with 10:30am Lafayette Cemetery Tour (by Save Our Cemetery).
I love their 75cent martinis.

Always choose the Turtle Soup (see photo).
Everything else is optional.
We like walk through the kitchen to the bar and courtyard area (come early and have a drink in the beautiful garden.

I certify that I have no personal or business relationship with this establishment, and have not been offered any incentive or payment originating from the establishment to write this review - BUT Chef Tory McPhail is probably a distant cousin.