“One of the best dining experiences I've ever had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,530 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Houston, Texas
“One of the best dining experiences I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Although I consistently write reviews for hotels we have stayed at, I rarely write reviews for restaurants, unless they completely wow me. Commander's Palace is one of those restaurants. We went for the Sunday jazz brunch and were blown away by the food and the service. The jazz band was also a nice touch! Don't think about it, just go! Be sure to make a reservation because they fill up pretty quickly. We can't wait to be back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida
“Good food but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I thought the food was very good. My waiter was disappointing he was so busy with others that I found him disinterested in our table. Actually the gentleman that took care of are water, and drinks was more attentive. I expected more given there reputation

Visited June 2012
Madison, Connecticut
“Jazz Brunch is a Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Experienced some of the best service at any restaurant in a long time. Attentive, easy to talk to - not pretentious. Made you feel special and at home all at once.

The food was mouth watering. We had two "special needs" eaters - one a vegetarian and the other needed to avoid saturated dairy fats / cream (yes - I asked the same question - how does one survive in NOLA with these restrictions??). But the waitress took care of us - personally discussing options with the chef who came back with slight modifications that were perfect.

The Abita braised beef with grits was awesome and the Creole Gumbo was the best I ever had - like a rich meat gravy. Topping it off with the Tortuga Rum cake with carmel sauce was the perfect ending. Expect to pay $50 per person - but if you want to treat yourself - this is the place.

The roving 3 piece Jazz group was outgoing, professional and talented. It got a little loud occasionally but they added a wonderful Jazz City touch to the afternoon. Remember the dress code men - no shorts.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shelbyville, Kentucky
“Not quite up to par.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was my 2nd. visit to Commanders Palace, the first being 10 years ago. The first visit was amazing. The best ever. This visit was a notch below. Still good, but missing that magic.
the service was not quite up to par. One waiter dropped a tray of water glassses with some of the water hitting one of the guests. We went during the Jazz brunch (arriving at the last seating at 1:30 and the jazz trio never visited our room. ) Nothing major, just not up to the standards we all expected.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome food and ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The experience that we got from the staff of Commander's Palace was 5 star. My mom loved the bread and bread pudding souffle and everything in between. I love the turtle soup, the fish and the souffle and love the hibiscus martini too.

Visited June 2012