Adorable Cottage. 1 block to the French Quarter.

Front of the unit
The building; unit is the lower condo
Kitchen

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

buffalobo...
North Canton, Ohio
“Small Hotel Room with a Kitchen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
people found this review helpful

My wife and I spent a week here in mid February. The unit was clean and the manager was generally cooperative and helpful. But there are some things you might want to consider before renting.

When we arrived on a Thursday, a washer was in the middle of the little courtyard. Since we had been traveling for 2 weeks before arriving, we needed to wash some clothes. The manager assured us that she had arranged for a replacement washer to be delivered on Saturday. It actually arrived the day before we left and too late to help us. The manager had not informed us about the delay.

The first 2 days were unseasonably cold and the heating/ac unit built into the wall just wasn't adequate, even supplemented by a space heater, to keep the room temperature even marginally comfortable. I doubt there is any wall insulation.

The unit is only the size of a small hotel room with a kitchen and better suited to 1 person than 2. There is no dining table in the unit although there is a rusty metal table in the patio area with 4 chairs. This place is just not designed for eating in if that is your plan.

The location is just a block or so from the NE edge of the French quarter (N Rampart & Esplanade Avenues). But the majority of the quarter's attractions e.g., Jackson Square, are about a mile walk which took about 17 minutes walking briskly. Metered on street parking, only $1.50 an hour, proved to be the quickest and easiest way to get in/out of the quarter, but was often not available in this congested area.

We were concerned about the safety of the area as the neighborhood is marginal and gets worse a few blocks away. The manager's suggestion to use taxis to get back at night seemed prudent. Even though our car was not vandalized, every morning I was apprehensive. Maybe the neighbor's guard do helped.

If we visit NOLA again, we would likely stay in the garden district, which is beautiful, convenient to the quarter via St. Charles Ave street cars, and has many reasonably priced dining options, particularly along Magazine Street.

I applaud Eshyah for investing in a reclamation project that makes affordable short term rentals available convenient to the quarter, but it was not a good fit for us.

4 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
4 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
4 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 2 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
3 of 5 stars Service
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with Bob, it was not a good fit. I think they would have been happier with a full-service hotel, which we definitely are not. The Garden District WOULD probably be a better location for Bob and Sherry. The Treme is not everyone's cup of tea, but it IS a great location for exploring the downtown area, including the French Quarter, as most of our other guests have appreciated. We have never had an issue with parked cars or guests' safety since I have owned the property, and that has been 14 years.
The table and chairs in the courtyard have been replaced, as Bob apparently failed to notice; that was also done the day before they checked out, too. Since it IS the middle of the winter, it was not the first thing on my list of things to do.
I apologized about the washer, but I had no control over that. I ordered a replacment through Home Depot, which was not able to be delivered within the time frame that I anticipated due to the bad weather in the north, slowing delivery schedules. I got it replaced as soon as I was able, and before their check-out, as Bob explains.
"Unseasonably cold" about sums it up. We usually have to deal with it being too hot, not too cold, but the heating unit in that room goes up to 90 degress...I don't know what else to say about that.
While we don't suit eveyone, this is the first not-great review that we have received, out of 7. I'm sorry that Bob and Sherry weren't satisfied, but as the man said, you can't please everyone.
A FlipKey verified reviewer
Graz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful
5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Management Response
Feb 9, 2014
Thank you!
mjdana24
Montreal
“Excellent, to be recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

Not wanting to repeat all the descriptive comments of previous reviewers, which are totally accurate, I will just say that I loved my stay, dec. 8th-12th, and would go again.

Got a great welcome from Eshyah, my flight had been delayed and it was well past midnight, but she still took the time to explain the workings of the Apt and of the neighborhood.

So much better than a hotel room....

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The amenities of an Apt versus a hotel room
Liked least: Nothing
Traveling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
pei162
New York
“Nice little place just outside the French Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

It is nice when you rent a place and it is just as it is described and pictured on website. It is small, but well laid out and very clean. Wi-fi is now included which is very helpful.

Having been to New Orleans before I was a little concerned about the location of the apartment, but that proved to be unfounded. We felt very safe walking down Esplanade Avenue to the Quarter and Frenchmen street. After midnight I would recommend taking a cab, but I would recommend that anywhere in NOLA at that time.

It is a little bit of a walk to Bourbon Street and Cafe Du Monde, but it is a beautiful walk. Every morning we would choose a different street (Royal, Bourbon etc.) and check out the homes. Of course this slowed down our progress as my girlfriend kept stopping to take pictures, but you are on vacation so you should be enjoying the journey not just rushing to cross off another "highlight".

Frenchmen Street, where all the good music bars are, is about a 10 block walk down Esplanade Avenue. Esplanade Avenue down to the river is a treasure with beautiful trees and homes. Guidebooks should really talk more about what a nice walk this is. At the end of Esplanade Avenue is where you can catch the River Trolley line down to Cafe du Monde, the casino and the warehouse district.

There is also bus service on the corner and N. Rampart street, but as we like to walk we did not use that option.

This place is a great value for the money.

4 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
4 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
814anonym...
Falls Church
“I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

the space is one large room, with a double/queen bed; sofa-futon; and a loft .
nice kitchen, kitted out with the necessaries. fridge, gas stove. bathroom had tub with good shower. a small table provides dining space for two, crowded if more. outside there is a nice 'garden' area. laundry facilities provided (no charge). cable tv. a very quiet street, with little through traffic. two large vacant lots--one adjacent, one across the street--further reduce the likelihood of ambient noise. ideal for family , close friends 2-4 in number, OK with sharing close quarters and not a lot of time inside save for sleeping (and why would one come to NOLA to stay inside?)
my only caveat regards the sleeping loft. it requires navigating a near-vertical ladder, not optimal for anyone with 'nocturnal needs'.
other than that, awesome!!
no more distant from Frenchmen Street music and the Vieux Carre than most places directly in the FQ.
Finally, the restoration of the property was done to a high level of quality and with great deal of care/attention.

Traveling group: Friends
Rusty064
New Orleans, Louisiana
“So close and so perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

We didn't realize how good this place was until we rented a more expensive, much further away and less equipped place a few weeks later. This is a great stay...less than 5 minutes to walk to bourbon st...yet quiet as a church. Loved it!!! If vacant will rent over and over

A FlipKey verified reviewer
Poughkeepsie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 for a stay in April 2013
5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Check in
Check out
Guests
from
$100
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Make Inquiry
this property has payment protection
Owner
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 7 days ago
Peace of Mind Protection
Learn more
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing