“Not a friend of the owner or the employees” 5 of 5 stars

8312 Oak St, New Orleans, LA
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chiba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #515 of 1,515 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dante St.
Transit: Street car at Carrollton
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not a friend of the owner or the employees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I think it is rather to rude to assume that someone gave a restaurant a 5 star rating because they are friends of the owners. My husband and I have only lived in New Orleans for a year and he recently started working in the uptown area, so we've been looking for a rental there... and you have to eat. So on the day after Christmas, we were bored and feeling housebound, so we got on the streetcar and headed to Oak Street to go to the comic store. We had no food in the house and hadn't really had much to eat that day, so we planned to have dinner while we were on that side of the city. We had noticed Chiba on a previous walk down Oak Street and wanted to try it, so we stopped in.

The decor is very modern. A lovely bar with booths to separate the area from the rest of the restaurant is on the left when you walk in. there is also the dining area right in front and the sushi bar on the back wall. The host at the door greeted us and seemed truly happy to be at work. We asked to be seated at the sushi bar. The chairs are very rustic and look like wooden versions of folding chairs. The seats are generous and my only real complaint about the entire decor is that these chairs are not comfortable at all if you sit back in them. If you sit forward without resting against the chair back, you're fine, but they have no lower lumbar support and the back is too high. This is a design flaw and by no means the fault of the restaurant beyond not really trying the chairs out before purchasing them.

At the sushi bar, we were served ice water and a complimentary amuse bouche of the octopus ceviche. This was delicious and the next time I go, and there will be a next time, I will order this. We were also informed that being Wednesday, it was Funk & Roll Happy Hour from 4 p.m. to midnight, and we received the happy hour menu. My husband ordered a Spicy Tuna Roll and some warm sake. I ordered a Let the Good Times Roll. The rolls were perfectly executed, small bites as the Japanese intended, and beautiful to look at. They were also delicious. We talked to the sushi chef and discovered that he was actually trained by traditional Japanese sushi chefs. We also noticed that the gari (pickled ginger) was of a very good quality and asked if it was made in house. It isn't, but it is better than the pink stuff most places serve.

I followed up my roll with the mushroom gyoza, which are made in house, come with their own dipping sauce, and taste amazing. Sean got escolar sushi, which were large and fresh. I then ordered the Crescent City Roll, which is essentially a fried oyster poboy in sushi roll form. In fact, this was the recipe they used for their poboy entry at the poboy festival the first year they were open. I've been told that there is a famous grocery store in the French Quarter that serves the best oyster poboy in the city and I've had one... I beg to differ. This is the best oyster poboy in the city. I also noticed that I forgot to order both of my rolls with soy paper rather than nori (seaweed paper). I usually find the seaweed overpowering, but the brand they use was very mild. My husband order both the pork belly and short rib steamed bun and we split them. They are appetizer sized and split in half. I recommend both of them.

Our waitresses were both attentive and quick to return with exactly what we ordered. The sushi chef (who I believe may actually be the owner) was fun to talk to and very knowledgeable. Yes, the menu is limited, but I think I prefer the limited, smaller rolls that are perfectly executed than the over-sized rolls of every variety you can think of that are too big to eat in one bite (which was the original intention) and fall apart as you are eating them because they aren't tight enough. This is our new favorite sushi place... and even better, with everything we ordered, we spent barely $100 including the gratuity of $20. That's an excellent value.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lahaina, Hawaii
“Obviously, their friends gave them the 5 star rating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is the grossest lack-luster food in the City. Beautiful restaurant, no parking, unaware wait staff who appear they just woke up.

The food made us sick through the next day. Avoid this place like a bad nightmare!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans
“Best New Asian Food in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My friend Molly took me to chiba last week. She lived in Japan and I used to take regular trips to Tokyo. Both of us have been unimpressed with local takes on sushi. Chiba gave us many reasons to return. First, the decor is simple and the neighborhood is charming. Large plate glass windows allowed a view onto Oak Street. Second, the largest Sake collection in the city. Third, half price Sake night so you can try different brands. Fourth, amazing, fresh sushi. Fifth, rolls that are creative and delicious. I forgot the name of it, but we had one with strawberry and satsuma. Delicious. Can you say pork belly buns? Yum. Oh, and one more thing: management. Keith Dusko who comes to New Orleans via New York greeted every table. I bet he will remember my name when I return. God bless New Orleans for great food and for new, wonderful restaurant experiments like Chiba.

• Visited August 2012