“Great dining experience but bypass the bar” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Criollo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,628 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Royal Street between Bienville and Iberville
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great dining experience but bypass the bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I ate at Criollo last night for dinner. We were early for our reservation so we decided to sit at the bar and grab a drink while we waited. The Bartenders were very unfriendly and not attentive. I would never go back to that bar again! ( Don't confuse the restaurant bar with the Carousal Bar at the hotel. I'm talking about the restaurant bar!!! The Carousal bar rocks!!!) From the moment we sat down for dinner, to the time we left our table, everything was fantastic! From the attentive wait staff, to the bread, to the salad and finally to a wonderful, delicious dinner, service was impeccable!! Colin was our waiter and he was terrific! He certainly made up for the horrible bar experience while waiting for our table. I highly recommend dinner at Criollo, ask for Colin! But don't waste your time at the bar!!!!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hurst, Texas
“A Hidden Gem in The French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

As a rule, over the last 30 years I have avoided hotel restaurants during my travels because they are over priced, and the food is average at best. This is now our third stay at the Hotel Monteleone in 5 years but only the first time I ever considered dining at the Criollo. In fact, I had not even reviewed it on Trip Advisor before yesterday and was surprised to learn it is ranked 65th out of 1,571 restaurants listed in NO. Thanks to recommendations from other Advisors, we took the plunge, and had a wonderful dining experience at the Criollo. Will, our Aussie waiter, provided us with excellent service and the kitchen staff produced two delightful meals for my wife and me. I ordered the Snapper dish (first on the entree side of the menu) and it was amazing. My wife who prefers vegetarian was extremely impressed with the vegetable medlay dish they created for her with pan fried tofus. For dessert we enjoyed their bread pudding combo. We are very pleased with our new discovery and delight in knowing you can actually carry on a conversation at your tabble without the need to shout over all the street noise. We will be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kent, England
“One of the few restaurants open during the ice storm!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Having been advised that our restaurant booking for that night (at the Bombay Cluc) had been cancelled as the restaurant was closed due to the weather (an ice storm!), we searched around for a venue near to our hotel which was open and found the Criollo. We had been to the Carousel bar in the Monteleone Hotel and had not intended to eat in the restaurant but it proved to be a very welcome port in an (ice) storm! The sample of three soups let us try out ones we would have not had otherwise and the main courses of duck and fish were perfectly cooked and presented. My husband ordered the selection of two bread puddings for dessert but only one arrived. On querying this we were told they had run out of one flavour as they had accommodated at the last minute a large group booking who were due to dine at Mr B's across the road which had also closed due to the weather. Because of this they didn't charge us for either of our desserts which was a nice touch.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great food and service. Good menu choice.
Have a drink in the bar and go for some nice food in Criollo

Visited February 2014
Calgary, Canada
“A mixture - great food; poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

A group of us had a great meal however the success of the evening was reduced by the lack of great service which we expected, especially given the automatic 22% gratuity added to the bill. When you are entertaining and the group is moving on to the next activity, it did not seem the time to dispute the gratuity.
That said, the appetizers were outstanding... the guacamole with crab and shrimp was a huge hit and there was a fair bit of sharing going on. A miscount on the order meant we ended up with one extra... also a hit. The swordfish was excellent although one person's was "tepid" in his words, others thought it was the best they had ever had.
While I would highly recommend the restaurant for its quality of food, I would think twice about booking a group.

• Visited January 2014