“Good Hotel, Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD

You added Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   821 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Pkg!
Ranked #75 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
oklahoma
“Good Hotel, Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

This hotel has all you need to make your New Orleans vacation an easy to get around experience. The only downside is the valet parking requirement running 26 dollars per night. We only used our car a couple of times when it was raining so the rest of the time it sat in the hotel's garage. The hotel rooms are clean and neat, the beds are fine and the flat screen tv's with many channel options make the room a respite at the end of the evening. Complimentary wifi worked well and we found that a plus. There is a small outdoor pool with chairs tables, and standing ashtrays as well as a small but high quality gym, which we used on the top floor of the hotel. Each floor has ice machines and each room has a microwave and small refrigerator. I asked our cleaning lady for extra regular coffee and none of the decaf and she was great at remembering them each of the days of our stay. The hotel has a small bar and restaurant on the 11th floor near the registration desk. We did not use either of these so I cannot speak to the quality of either service. The hotel is very secure and you cannot access the floors above the 11th without placing your room key into the slot on the elevator. You must also use your room key to enter the gym and to exit the door leading to the outdoor pool and rooftop seating area. (So just a note: Ask for an extra room key at check-in in case you misplace one, and make the effort to have your room key on you at all times!) The Hilton Garden Inn is just a couple of blocks to the west of Canal St. (a main north-south street separating the French Quarter - Bourbon St. from the Business district) and the main action of Bourbon Street and the shopping opportunities, restaurants and clubs of the French Quarter. It is also located just a block north of St. Charles St. and two blocks north of Magazine St. both offering shopping and foodie options. We purchased a 3 day metro pass at the kiosk on Canal St. just down the way from our hotel and we were able to use it for both the trolleys and buses. At the start of our 6-day vacation, we took the Canal St. trolley north to the RTA (public transportation) offices to pick up a map of the bus routes which cannot be found anywhere else on the system. The trolley is limited to 3 lines so it is easy to figure out without the map; however to fully use the bus system options you need this map. (The online version is not that useful for viewing the whole layout at once!) We could easily pick up the Canal St. or Charles St. trolleys within minutes from our hotel. A Magazine St. bus can take you down Magazine St. (from Canal St.) to the World War II Museum and beyond. There is a CVS which sells some food products and spirits as well as beer and other sundries within a 6 minute walk from the hotel, at the corner of Canal. (Be aware there is virtually no paperback fiction section at this CVS, although there are a small number of magazines and non-fiction books available.) Once on Canal there is additionally a Walgreen's a couple of blocks away as well as many restaurants and stores. If you are looking to purchase literature to read while on vacation we did pass a privately owned bookstore on a walk down Decatur St. heading from Canal St. east. There you will also find many clothing and decorative arts stores as well as restaurants including Cafe du Monde, a definite must stop, on your tour of New Orleans.

All in all our vacation using the Hilton Garden Inn as a base was a success. We felt comfortable and safe there and enjoyed the facilities. There are washing machines and dryers on certain floors but we did not use them. The rooms are comfortable though not particularly special in any way. Everything was kept clean. We were able to walk to the Arena for a pro basketball game north and west of the hotel, and we were able to walk to trolleys and connecting buses to get to everywhere else we wanted to explore in the city. I can strongly recommend a stay at this hotel and I suggest you go onto their website to check on promotional deals they offer (like the stay 3 or more days including a Sunday offer) to make the cost more affordable and to offset the exorbitant garage fees which by the way are fairly standard for hotels in the center of New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kristi T, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
WOW! Thanks so much for the great review. You have provided TONS of great information and insight for our future guests.

We hope to serve you again soon!

Kristi Taglauer, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I travel to New Orleans about 7 or 8 times a year and always stay at the HGI on Gravier. its an excellent central locations with its own parking garage attached (parking is not great downtown NOLA). its only a few blocks from Bourbon street so you can walk back if you have had a few too many (who hasnt on Bourbon street)
they have a nice restuarant with good food and room service is quick and easy. I have stayed there during their "Event pricing" but was always able to negotiate a better rate with the manager myself (maybe because im a Diamond member). has a nice pool on the roof with a view of Bourbon street.
cant go wrong with the HGI/CBD

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Milpitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

What a big difference staying at a 2 star boutique hotel to a 3 star chain hotel! It was so refreshing to stay here for two nights after being at Queen and Crescent for 3 days. The room was clean and a good size. In addition, there was a mini refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, flat screen tv, and free wifi.

My hubby booked this room on priceline.com and used the “name your own price” option. We booked this room for $100/night. The room is typically over $250/night.

The workers at the front desk were extremely nice when we checked in and out of the hotel. In addition, we left our bags with them after we checked out so we could explore the city some more. They also called a cab for us to go back to the airport.

I would stay here again since the location is within walking distance to French Quarter, Canal Street, and the streetcars.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed here at the tail end of one of my business trips. The room was a standard HGI room. It was in good condition and clean. The view however leaved something to be desired. The one window we had looked out on an interior atrium I guess you would call it. You had to look up about 6 or 7 floors to see the sky. As a result, the room was rather dark unless you turned the lights on. We were on the 12th floor, which is only one floor above the lobby, which is on the 11th floor. I know this sounds weird but the hotel occupies the top half of a business building, so oyu have to go up to the 11th floor to get to the lobby.

I assume there are rooms that look out on the outside of the building. I would definately ask for one, although it wasn't that big of an issue for us since we weren't in the room much. I am a Diamond Hilton Honors member and thought I might get a better location but O well.

The hotel is located central to just about anywhere you'd want to walk, which was nice. Also, my complimentary breakfast we great, not unlike that served at Embassy Suites. I wouldn't have paid for it however.

You need to ask the bellman to call a cab for you. They don't cue up by this hotel. Alternatively, just walk around the corner. There are larger hotels there that have cabs waiting.

I'd stay here again. I'd just make sure I had a window that looked outside.

Room Tip: Get a room that looks outside the building.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Having tried a couple of hotels in New Orleans this is an easy choice. You are 3 min. walk from Bourbon St. and you dont have to listen to the noise. Parking in house (vale), swimming pool on the roof and a very pleasant staff. If your at a conference or exhibition, this is walking distance to the convention center. Pricing compared to Hilton, Hyatt etc. is good.

All room are high above street level so you dont have to worry about any noise.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I arrived by Amtrak and walked to the Hilton Garden Inn. I had a backpack and a plastic bag.
As soon as I exited the 11th floor elevator to the lobby, I was greeted by someone, who clearly thought I didn't belong in his hotel.
I declined his "help" and was checked in according to my reservation number.
Everything else was grand until I requested a late check out. The hotel information clearly stated a 12 noon check out and I requested a 1p checkout. The front desk nexed that request and explained that check out was 11a and I was given a 1/2 hour extension.
Come 11:15a, I was reminded twice that I should be out by 11:30a.
Overall, I didn't feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kristi T, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thanks so much sharing your comments with us. Our team works hard to make every guest feel welcome and I apologize that you did not feel that welcome extended to you. This certainly is something I will share with our team for improvement. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. We do our best to accomodate late check-outs when we can and we can always store luggage until you're ready to depart.

Kristi Taglauer, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel rooms were large and the beds were very comfortable. It was a great location allowing us to walk all over the French Quarter and do several of the tours. We ate in the restraunt that night and the food and service were great.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD? Share your experiences!