“Great location for tourists” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   114 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #100 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Angelo
“Great location for tourists”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the rate, the location and it was the last King-size bed room in my price range in the area. I read the reviews and expected the room to be small, and it was! My husband and I are tall, so the room felt very small to us. But we did not mind it as we planned to spend our time in New Orleans exploring the city, not in our room. I would not recommend this hotel for honeymooners.

The bathroom had been updates nicely, but there is very limited room for toiletries next to the pedestal sink. Our bedroom contained a small desk, 2 chairs, a bureau with drawers (TV on top), small armoire with safe and hanging space, and a king-size bed - all in about a 12' X 12" space.

The free breakfast was well-stocked when we got there around 8am the first morning, less so when we arrived at 9am the next morning (breakfast is over at 9:30am). I was looking for healthy choices so I had whole wheat toast with peanut butter, peach Yoplait yogurt, a banana, milk, apple juice and coffee. Pancakes, cereal and a few pastries were other options; plus there were some breakfast burritos and sausage biscuits in packages that you could heat up in the microwave. Enough of a breakfast to hold you until you get to Cafe DuMonde for beignets and coffee!

Although the valet parking is an additional fee ($25-30/night), I would recommend it. There does not seem to be any safe nearby parking. The front desk and valet staff were courteous.

The hotel was only a block to the pickup location for a hop-on-hop-off tour bus service, which we appreciated.

The room may have lacked spaciousness, but made up for it with free WIFI, a very comfortable bed and a great shower.

I rated this hotel Average because the room was overly small, but overall I was pleased with the value of the amenities for the room rate.

Room Tip: This is an older downtown hotel that has been updated some, but the rooms are small. If you want mo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Pros:
- free WiFi with strong signal everywhere
- good location a short block away from the French quarter, few blocks away from the casino and IMAX theater, 13 minutes walk from. WWII museum.
- nice breakfast

Cons:
- ants in the room!! In the bathroom sink, on little table near the bed and on bed!!
- in one room the smell was not too good
- in one room there is a glass wall in the shower overlooking the street. The curtain was missing that stick that helps you shade it so people in the street can't see the inside of the shower room.
- service could have been better:
--- when asking to move to another room due to ants on my bed the reception told me that maintenance staff must first inspect my room before I can move. After an hour waiting non one came to inspect the room and I had to be very assertive in order to get a new room.
--- when moving to another room I was not offered help with the luggage
--- on another matter I was not pre -warned about a phone scam that crosstown steal guests' credit card information even though hotel staff are aware of that scam for months.
--- when got a package they do not deliver it to your room
--- when I paid a night before leaving the lady at the front desk said she cannot print the bill yet but she didn't bother or even suggest reading the charges from her computer screen so I can check them before signing the total charge.

Bottom line - it didn't feel like a best western experience !!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had reservations at the Best Western on N. Rampart St. and decided to change them to this hotel at the last minute. We were glad we did. It was very clean. Our room faced the front street
and the walls were old original red bricks, which I loved ! The breakfast was very good.You have to do valet parking ($25.00 plus taxes) no parking lot- you just pull up to front lobby door to unload your luggage, We walked all the street- Canal,Bourbon,etc. Walked down to Jackson Square and the market area. It was quiet in our room at night and we were glad we did not stay on the busier streets When you are near the market area and waterfront- beware--- of the many
people that approach you commenting on your shoes-they want to polish them for money.
I would stay in this hotel again if I were in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I am pleased to hear that your stay was good. When booking your next reservation please give us a call so that we make help book your next stay.
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am very relaxed about my accomodations. Usually if they have great service, I'll overlook other areas. But, this place was awful.

When we walked in, the lobby smelled like a men's locker room. Seriously, it was bad. Then, valet took forever because one guy goes and takes your car to some parking lot down the road (wherever that is). The front desk lady was the most rude, uninterested person in the world.

Then we get on the only working elevator and on our floor we notice a dirty q-tip. Great. Our room had no windows. At that point, we just start laughing at how bad it is. On our way out, we notice the white elevator has dirty hand prints all over it. It was just overall very unclean.

As far as pros: Good location. Also, the lack of sunlight can produce coma-like sleeping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay in the Best Western Plus in Tupelo and so were very excited at spending our last 4 days of our trip in another hotel of the same chain. When we arrived we were told to park the car outside and wait for the valet to park it for us, which we did. We entered the lobby to check in (struggling with all our cases and bags that the valet had told us to remove from car) and was met by a very abrupt young woman (not at all like the lovely friendly people we had been encountering throughout the rest of our trip) who told us that we would have to give her a credit card for incidentals and that the cost of parking would be $25.00 per day plus tax so $28.00 per day and that there is a safe in the room which we would be charged $1.00 a day whether we use it or not. My husband questioned this saying that this cost should surely be within the room rate, as they wouldn't sell a room and then tell the guest there is a sink in the room that you will be charged for whether you use it or not. He said if we had asked for provision of a safe we would expect to pay extra but if it was already part of the room why should it incur added cost. The assistant just raised her eyebrows and repeated her spiel, giving us our key and pointing us to the lift.
We made our way up to the room and when we got inside it was very dark so my husband pulled back the curtains only to find there was no window, just a mirror.
Our booking said we were booked into a king room but we had 2 doubles, the air conditioning came on every 10 minutes or so and each time it started up it sounded as though someone was rattling at the door so we were constantly waking, My poor husband had to go downstairs every morning to find out what the weather was doing so that we would know how to dress for the day.
The toilet blocked on the first day and was pumping back sewage. We went to complain about this and the lack of window but were told the toilet would be fixed and we had to stay in this room.
On our return from a day out we asked the receptionist if the toilet had been sorted and she said, "I don't know have you checked?" We went to check and it had kind of but we had to hold down the lever every time we flushed from then on.
The complimentary breakfast on offer looked to be ok, but there were never enough tables and chairs to accomodate the guests regardless of what time we went for it and food items were not replenished, I saw a woman take 4 bananas and when I asked if there were any more I was told no so it was a bit hit and miss if you got what you wanted for breakfast or were able to sit down to eat it
On departure we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay and when mentioning all the above the receptionist just said,"Oh you got one of those rooms huh?
Outside the hotel the paving slabs are extremely uneven and there are large holes in the ground with no warning signs.
I would not recommend this hotel if you have a choice.

Room Tip: Ask if it has a window
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was checked in to a tiny room with NO window with a moldy stench, and unbreathable air. They offered another room which also had moldy stench, no air circulation, and again no window. Both room environments were unhealthy and unsafe for anyone with a respiratory condition. The manager wouldn't refund my room charge and taxes/fees and did nothing nor offered anything to help me. $197!! I had to move to another hotel. I had to contact my credit card to dispute the charge. A hassle and a lousy experience in such a great city!

• Stayed October 2012
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We met several friends and stayed at this hotel in the beginning of October. There were 13 of us and we had not seen each other in over 35 years! We had a wonderful time. The St. Christopher was absolutely the best choice for all of us. Although the rooms are not large, they are all very interesting and quite different from each other, and very clean! This is not one of your "cookie cutter" hotel layouts! It was created out of an historic warehouse and the original brick interior walls are beautiful!
This hotel is located just on the edge of the French Quarter. We could walk to just about everything. The casino was 3 blocks away, the river just two, and Bourbon Street was practically the next street. The breakfast (which was included) was great...even had a pancake machine which I had never seen before.
However, what made the hotel perfect was the staff They just couldn't do enough for us! Renada, at the front desk, was incredible. Whatever we needed, she was quick to provide. She arranged for a tour for us, and even called me from her home to let me know that everything was taken care of. What more would we have asked for?
Thank you to all the St Christopher's staff. Thanks to you, we had a wonderful reunion!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are interior rooms and consequently, they do not have windows. If you are a bit c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I am pleased to hear that you have a great stay when in town at our hotel. Please on your next stay give us a call so we may assist you in booking your next reservation with our hotel..

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel? Share your experiences!