“Do not assume all hotel chains have the same standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   114 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #99 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Blackpool
“Do not assume all hotel chains have the same standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay in the Best Western Plus in Tupelo and so were very excited at spending our last 4 days of our trip in another hotel of the same chain. When we arrived we were told to park the car outside and wait for the valet to park it for us, which we did. We entered the lobby to check in (struggling with all our cases and bags that the valet had told us to remove from car) and was met by a very abrupt young woman (not at all like the lovely friendly people we had been encountering throughout the rest of our trip) who told us that we would have to give her a credit card for incidentals and that the cost of parking would be $25.00 per day plus tax so $28.00 per day and that there is a safe in the room which we would be charged $1.00 a day whether we use it or not. My husband questioned this saying that this cost should surely be within the room rate, as they wouldn't sell a room and then tell the guest there is a sink in the room that you will be charged for whether you use it or not. He said if we had asked for provision of a safe we would expect to pay extra but if it was already part of the room why should it incur added cost. The assistant just raised her eyebrows and repeated her spiel, giving us our key and pointing us to the lift.
We made our way up to the room and when we got inside it was very dark so my husband pulled back the curtains only to find there was no window, just a mirror.
Our booking said we were booked into a king room but we had 2 doubles, the air conditioning came on every 10 minutes or so and each time it started up it sounded as though someone was rattling at the door so we were constantly waking, My poor husband had to go downstairs every morning to find out what the weather was doing so that we would know how to dress for the day.
The toilet blocked on the first day and was pumping back sewage. We went to complain about this and the lack of window but were told the toilet would be fixed and we had to stay in this room.
On our return from a day out we asked the receptionist if the toilet had been sorted and she said, "I don't know have you checked?" We went to check and it had kind of but we had to hold down the lever every time we flushed from then on.
The complimentary breakfast on offer looked to be ok, but there were never enough tables and chairs to accomodate the guests regardless of what time we went for it and food items were not replenished, I saw a woman take 4 bananas and when I asked if there were any more I was told no so it was a bit hit and miss if you got what you wanted for breakfast or were able to sit down to eat it
On departure we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay and when mentioning all the above the receptionist just said,"Oh you got one of those rooms huh?
Outside the hotel the paving slabs are extremely uneven and there are large holes in the ground with no warning signs.
I would not recommend this hotel if you have a choice.

Room Tip: Ask if it has a window
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was checked in to a tiny room with NO window with a moldy stench, and unbreathable air. They offered another room which also had moldy stench, no air circulation, and again no window. Both room environments were unhealthy and unsafe for anyone with a respiratory condition. The manager wouldn't refund my room charge and taxes/fees and did nothing nor offered anything to help me. $197!! I had to move to another hotel. I had to contact my credit card to dispute the charge. A hassle and a lousy experience in such a great city!

• Stayed October 2012
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We met several friends and stayed at this hotel in the beginning of October. There were 13 of us and we had not seen each other in over 35 years! We had a wonderful time. The St. Christopher was absolutely the best choice for all of us. Although the rooms are not large, they are all very interesting and quite different from each other, and very clean! This is not one of your "cookie cutter" hotel layouts! It was created out of an historic warehouse and the original brick interior walls are beautiful!
This hotel is located just on the edge of the French Quarter. We could walk to just about everything. The casino was 3 blocks away, the river just two, and Bourbon Street was practically the next street. The breakfast (which was included) was great...even had a pancake machine which I had never seen before.
However, what made the hotel perfect was the staff They just couldn't do enough for us! Renada, at the front desk, was incredible. Whatever we needed, she was quick to provide. She arranged for a tour for us, and even called me from her home to let me know that everything was taken care of. What more would we have asked for?
Thank you to all the St Christopher's staff. Thanks to you, we had a wonderful reunion!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are interior rooms and consequently, they do not have windows. If you are a bit c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you have a great stay when in town at our hotel. Please on your next stay give us a call so we may assist you in booking your next reservation with our hotel..
Midland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am a firm tripadvisor believer and always do my due diligence when booking a room, this room from the outside looked perfect, a couple of blocks from Bourbon St and so we booked here for our annual girls trip to New Orleans. Well, we got there and they immediately charge you the price of the room and $30 per night for incidentals (they did NOT tell me about the $30 per night charge or that if you didn't use it, it would be 5 to 10 days for it to come off your total charge). So, this overdrew my bank account due to being charged $685 twice. I am a budget minded person and had carefully budgeted for everything. When I went to the front desk to try to make some sense of everything, the front desk clerk could not have cared less and seemed mad at ME for being upset about the double charge. She said my card didn't go through the first time, well, I had my paperwork that it indeed did go through, so once again I was told 5 - 10 days to correct problem. So, imagine my suprise when they ran through the price AGAIN on Monday. I was charged 3 Times, asked to speak to a Manager that I was told was unavaible. And they acted like it was my fault. After saying all of that, here is my pros and cons of other aspects of this hotel.

Pros - Whirlpool tub was awesome (which I needed for stress relief)
Housekeeping was great, always replentished
Continental Breakfast had the standards and several of our girls ate there and thought it was good

Cons - Rooms are small
To me their biggest CON is NO Customer Service skills, they treated me very disrespectfully and I was so upset and no one even apologized, they just pointed fingers at others.

I will NEVER stay in this hotel or chain again because if this is standard business practice, NO THANK YOU! I have stayed at many hotels around the country and have NEVER encountered this issue with charges OR with horrible customer service. I learned my lesson.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Be very careful of this hotel. In all fairness, I have not stayed here -- but I've paid for it.

In searching for a place to stay in New Orleans on an Expedia company site, I inadvertantly reserved this hotel just while searching for options. This "reservation" was made over a month before I intended to stay there and I called Egencia (the corporate version of Expedia) on the same day I made the error and said I hadn't inteded to make the reservation. They called the hotel and made their best effort to get me out of the erronous booking but the hotel's front desk refused. I called the hotel front desk directly and was told this is how they are able to offer lower rates -- because they're non-refundable -- even if made in error a month in advance. I asked if there was someone I could discuss this policy with but was told that no one could discuss it with me and there's nothing I could do. I could cancel my reservation now and pay the full fare or I could get automatically charged full fare when the first night came around.

So... I'm on the hook for not just one night -- but the entire price of my trip whether I stay there or not. In all the years I've been traveling I've never encounted such a ridiculous policy or more difficult staff to deal with. Not only will I never stay at this hotel, I doubt I'll ever book a Best Western again. It's no wonder than can offer (admittedly) good rates for New Orleans -- They're probably selling them all twice. Best Western generally has a pretty good brand name but this hotel is not representing that name well.

My advice -- don't even consider this hotel. They're policies are shady and as you can see for this review and others the staff is not very helpful at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel was in the best location to visit and tour New Orleans! It was on a quiet street one block from the French Quarter, 4 blocks from Bourbon Street, and near the cable car stops. The price for the King room was terrific. That being said, even the though room was quite charming with the exposed brick wall and decorations, it was a bit cramped. The bathroom was clean but lacked any sort of counter space with the pedestal sink. The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast which is basically coffee, prepackaged pastries and microwavable biscuit sausage sandwiches. If you want a great breakfast go just across the street to the Ruby Slipper! Overall nice experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Yeah, early week in the off season, but $89 including parking? Unheard of. Fantastic hotel. Friendly staff, great rooms, absolutely no complaints . And, the fact that it is100ft from Canal and Decatur, the edge of the French Quarter...wow. No question I will stay there again...check the online ads and the books in the LA rest areas for coupons. Walk to Cafe du Monde, Bourbon St, and especially Frenchmen St for music. Ride the streetcar uptown. Great place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves in comfort, great staff and the perfect location that is close to everything. We hope that you travel to our area again sometime in the future and get the opportunity to experience some of our great hospitality again.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel? Share your experiences!